Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

This may sound crazy, but tell me what you think!

We are planning to have two sheet cakes, a groom cake and bride cake, and our main "cake" will be tiers of hot wings. Don't judge yet! there is a story behind this. I told my mother about how my fiance and I had always gone to our favorite wing place whenever we celebrated something and I had the idea of hot wings instead of cake but wasn't sure he would go for it. She recommended I should see because it never hurts to ask right? Well, I mentioned to him I had been thinking about our wedding cake and he interupted and said he had too and he thought it would be crazy cool to have hot wings instead and he wanted to know what I thought! I was speachless and asked if had talked to my mother because I had told her the same thing the day before. He hadn't talked to her, he had just come up with the idea the last time we ate wings and wasn't sure if I was cool with it! But when we started talking to people about it they recommended having it on the buffet instead. So tell me should the "cake" be hot wings or should we just have them as an option on our buffet?

Re: This may sound crazy, but tell me what you think!

• Options
    pag41989pag41989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking it should just be in the buffet. LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pag41989pag41989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't say much because FI wants a chicken Mcnugget cake. I posted it on a different board though and got flamed.
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Will people eat them when it comes "cake cutting" time or will they be full and ready for dessert. I think a wing bar would be one of the coolest thing ever for a cocktail hour.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    First, you need a good baker...  Take the idea of a CAKE that looks like the wings ;o))  In other words, your baker works the theme "Hot Wings" and your fav' restaurant into the theme of the cake.  Think "Ace of Cakes" sort of idea here..  Honestly, not everyone can do hot or spicey foods, so I'd say if you're going for real wings, then do it as a buffet option or as a snack option later in the evening instead of the dessert which is suppose to be a palette cleanser.
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm always for things that have meaning to the bride and groom.  What you could do is have them piled up like cake and instead of a cake cutting thing where you feed each other cake, you could get everyone's attention before dinner and feed each other a bite of chicken wing.  Be careful though because wings are messy!  Anyway, you could do that and then have dinner served and have the wings on the buffet.  Then cake can just be served later as dessert with no big formal cake cutting/tasting thing.  If you're willing to give up the cake cutting.If you do the wings at the time a normal cake cutting is done and cake served, people will have already eaten dinner and it just wouldn't make sense to feed each other wings and then serve everyone cake. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ChickenArmsChickenArms member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Truly an original idea. I say do what you want for your day. Just make sure you are not going to look back and one day wish you had a cake. The wing bar idea is making me hungry. Mmmm! Lemon Pepper wings.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea...but I guess I was thinking from a technical aspect...but how would you keep the wings from being cold if you have them sitting on your cake table?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love a hot wing buffet during the cocktail hour idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just told my fiance you wanted a hot wing cake, and he gasped and said "AWESOME". I say you should do it, especially if you BOTH had the same idea. Will you do different flavors for each "tier"?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would totally go for it.  And you have sheet cakes, so there ya go.  Something sweet to wash down the hotness.  I think it's silly and fun and you both like the idea, so do it. A cake that looks like a pile of hot wings is going to cost a fortune to get done correctly... but would be damned cool:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like a fun idea. But, I'd  'cut' the wing cake before dinner for an appetizer course. You could tie it in with the toast. That would make more sense than serving wings with the sheet cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Her ya go.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think its really neat that you want a cake that is different and relates to you as a couple, i love the cake that is a bucket of chicken wings!!! thats the best idea i saw!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would probably keep the chicken on the buffet or do a wing station and stick to the baked goods on the dessert table. I love tying in what you both love, but won't the chicken get cold FAST?
  • Options
    dojo1dojo1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do what's in your heart!!!!  I love a bit of sweet and savory - enjoying a bite of cake with some spicy wings would be yummmmmmmy!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have the caterer wheel the wings out super hot & fresh from the kitchen to the middle of the dance floor, do the pics & then wheel it to the front of the buffet line. If you want the look of a cake table, have a fake cake made. They are styrofoam covered with icing & decorated the way you want. They also make funny pics as grandma lifts it with one hand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ***READ BEFORE REPLYING*** Okay, there seems to be some confusion here, the tiers of hot wings would be served before dinner and we would feed each other the wings then. Dinner is buffet style so they would be served there. We would NOT be serving them with the cake after the meal. But should that be our "cake cutting" or should we have an acual cake cutting?
  • Options
    ngiguerengiguere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's YOUR wedding! If a wing cake is what you want, a wing cake is what you should have. Especially if it's something you're both so excited about! And I think you should totally see if your favorite wing place that you celebrate at would cater the wings for you. Maybe they could put a picture from your wedding up in their restaurant too. My only recommendation regarding this is that if you guys are going to "feed" each other wings during cake cutting time...or do anything like that, put a cute apron or something on over your dress at that time. Wing sauce stains and stands out! Of course, the apron could be taken off right away after you had your wings and cleaned off your fingers. Very cool idea, go for it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should absolutely have a hot wing "cake".  Having a wing cutting instead of a cake cutting would be so fun.  Your wedding is the perfect place to put a spin on traditions and make things uniquely you.  I think your guests will think it fabulous - and since cake will be served as well, they'll get the best of both words.  Maybe you could even put a cute little frame (or something) that has the story behind the wing cake sitting on the cake table so guests will understand the idea when they see the wings on the cake table.  Go For It!  And post pictures!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    although it is adorable you both thought of it, i would stick to a buffet, i liked the idea someone had about having a whole buffet just wings. do you really want to have to explain the wing story to your guests? and if you don't, they will think you are crazy. though, if you are "odd" couple like that, maybe it would fit you and your day. my guy and i are definitively the odd couple and we are doing some things against tradition, though a cake out of chicken is not one of them. but maybe i'm just not as brave as you :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is sort of a cool and different idea! How cute too that you guys both thought of the same idea! You could always have actual hot wings in a buffet and then have a hot wing looking cake, that looks like hot wings, but is really cake! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's really sweet that you both thought of the idea, but I do think it's problematic. If there are sheet cakes, will people really want to eat the hot wings during the same course as cake? Probably not flavors that go well together. You could have a cake-shaped hot wing stack that's accessible as an appetizer/in the buffet so it's cute but still edible. I love the idea, I just think it could be incorporated more practically.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a very creative idea, but maybe the wings should be the "centerpiece", in a sense, of the buffet. You could make it look really fabulous! I wish I could have some wings right now.....
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking having them as an appetizer or something might be ideal....good that you're on the same page with each other. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats pretty awesome! It would certainly be a memorable aspect of your wedding! If you can make it work go for it! I'd say do the "cake" cutting right away though, you know how they sometimes have you do it right when you get to the reception hall? That way its not like people finish their dinner and all of a sudden they're greeted with more food rather than dessert. I think its great and really personal. Go for it!
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hillaryeggerthillaryeggert member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, unless you plan to tell that story to every person at your wedding, I don't think guests will get it.  If I saw this at a reception, I'd be thinking, "Well, that's... interesting."You even prefaced your idea by saying, "Don't judge yet, there's a story behind this."  I just don't think cake cutting should require an explanation.I vote for keeping them in the buffet, especially since - if I understand correctly - you actually are serving real cake.
  • Options
    MKG318MKG318 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, sounds tacky.  But if you're wedding is going to be quirky and totally non-traditional, it might work.  If you're hell bent on this idea, put it in the buffet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you are having regular groom and bride cakes anyway, I don't see why you can't have a "cake" of hot wings.  I say go for it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the idea of incorporating things that means something to you... and no one said that the "cutting" and "feeding" had to be actual cake, so I say GO FOR IT!!  But I do also like the idea of getting an actual cake that looks like hot wings!! how cool would that be! however, be prepared to explain yourself, b/c I'm sure there will be TONS of questions!  Good luck!
  • Options
    divapink018divapink018 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you should have the "wing cake" in the buffet, just as a way to present it but have an actual cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards