Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cheesecake?

My FI and I were just talking about how we like cheesecake better than regular cake so we are thinking about just having a mini wedding cake to cut and for pictures and serving pieces of cheesecake for dessert instead. Do you think people will like this or would prefer a traditional wedding cake? I'm just always trying to think of things in place of being too traditional but not too different either. Thoughts or comments if you have done something similar to this or seen it at a wedding. Thanks:)

Re: Cheesecake?

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of it being done, but I haven't actually seen it.  I love cheesecake and would love to have it at a wedding, although I know not everyone loves it.  Maybe have a dessert table with your cheesecake and another dessert option or two?
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd have it as an option but not as the only cake.  The cake is usually my favorite part of the reception and I really hate cheesecake.  I don't think I'm alone on this because a cousin had been planning a cheesecake wedding cake.  It's the only cake she likes, however, enough people said thanks but no thanks when they heard about this.  She did it as an extra dessert instead.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • cakegirl.73cakegirl.73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing both- cake for me, cheesecake for him. That way guests have an option.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree about having at least one other option.  However, if you guys really love cheesecake and want to be nontraditional, I think it would be fine to cut the cheesecake rather than a traditional wedding cake.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    No matter what you pick, there will be people who won't like it. I say, if you love cheesecake, you should totally do it.
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin did it about 7 years ago. She had 3 different flavors. (And 300 people at her wedding, so it was a huge cake!)

If you do this, I'd also have cookies or cupcakes on the side for people who can't digest dairy well/don't like cheesecake. And I only say that because regular cake is so traditional that it's what people expect. So if it's not a regular cake and they were looking forward to dessert, they might be bummed about it.

Personally, I also love cheesecake. I think it would be awesome if you had different fillings or had toppings on the side.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone loves cheesecake!! I know that there are a lot of ppl talking about it recently, but I just haven't seen pictures of it!
  • edited December 2011
    go for the cheescake, in fact cut the cheese cake, and maybe have a grooms cake that is a lighter more tradintional cake
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I love love love cheesecake so this is what we are doing. But we aren't having any other desserts either, We are meeting with the cake people on tuesday and are planning on doing 3 tiers with different flavors, like turtle cheesecake for the top, ny style with strawberries and another flavor yet to be determined. If you like cheesecake as much as FI and I do I see no reason not to cut the cheesecake, I know not all people like cheesecake but you'll find that with any cake you have. I don't like carrot cake and FI's sister had that, I just didn't have cake.
  • edited December 2011
    I know I love cheesecake but my fiance wants the tradition cake so our compromise was to have a Red Velvit cake with Cheesecake frosting :) Yummy! Hope this idea helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding where they only served cheescakes and I loved it. As did most of the guests. if you are concerned about not everyone liking it, I would do something inexpensive like cupcakes as an alternative. You could spend a little bit extra decorating them with real flowers or decorations and still spend much less than if you got a multi layered traditional cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards