Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Heavy Hors D'oeuvres question

Hello!

My FI and I are really into having a heavy hors d'oeuvres reception.  Our plan is to have a cocktail hour with 3 hors d'oeuvres (2-3 pieces per person), these will be things like bruschetta, shrimp platter, whole salmon/cream cheese spread with bread, or pasta salad.  This will be followed by a heavy hors d'oeuvres reception (8 items 2-3pp).  These will be things like a meat carving station, pasta, stuffed mushrooms, assorted quiches, grilled veggies, and chicken, beef, and shrimp skewers, etc.  Then later in the evening before everyone goes home, we are going to have a late-night snack (again 3 items 2-3 pp- quesadillas, spring rolls, etc) since there will be an open bar all night.

So my question is first would you think this constitutes a meal (would be about 30-40 pieces pp)?  We are having an evening wedding, would it be okay to have this during dinner time- cocktail hour starting at 6:30-7, heavy hors d'ouevres starting at 7:30-8?
Do I need to mention this on the invitation even if it does constitute a meal?  I'm worried people will eat a meal before they come.

TIA!!

Re: Heavy Hors D'oeuvres question

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are going to have a slew of people tell you that heavy hors d'eouvres will never constitute a meal.

I've been to weddings with heavy hors d'eouvres and never left hungry - in fact it was usually more food than you get at a buffet or sit down dinner.  Also,  when we were planning this option for our 6:00 wedding, our caterer told us that most brides and grooms are going this route.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    30-40 pieces pp sounds fine to me, as long as there's a good variety.

And no, you don't need to indicate the type of meal it will be as long as there's enough for a meal. "Cocktail reception to follow" implies light apps. Plus, whenever I get an invitation for a wedding and I know it's NOT super fancy (tableside ordering) and there's no choice of meal on the RSVP, I assume it's buffet or heavy apps. Same thing, really.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're having a carving station, skewers, etc.  Those are "meals" to some people.  I think it's more than fine.  You make my heavy hors d'ouevres look like beans...haha!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, that sounds less like an hors d'oeurvres reception and more like a small plates meal! Sounds like plenty.
  • jamiemarie33jamiemarie33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great- I was hoping for these kind of responses!  We both really love this type of reception.

Thanks!!
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yeah definitely.  About 15 pieces per person constitutes a meal, and that's what we had and it was a big hit.

Question though, in your description, it's only 9 pieces per person but later in the post you say 30...so I'm not sure which is correct.  Just know that 10-20 pieces per person is enough to constitute a meal.  Also, if you do have enough to constitute a meal, you don't need to indicate anything like "cocktail reception" on the invitation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry, let me clarify- it's 2-3 pieces pp, per item. 
  • edited December 2011
    Love the responses  because we wanted to do all stations and appetizers and everyone told us it would not be enough food.  We want a party feel, not a stodgy meal.  Go with the skewers and mix up the styles of the appetizers and I think you will be fine.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm wondering if we really even need the carving station?
  • mmskaricmmskaric member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd keep the carving station. I'm a meeting planner in real life and can tell you that men like their meat. It's make up for the petite little finger foods and not sitting down to eat, in their eyes. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards