Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Heavy Hor D'Oeurves ideas...Please Help!!

Hey guys,

I am new to this site!  I am getting married in May of next year.  A woman who works with me also does catering on the side, and she offered to cater for just the price of food!!  Which is great!  I want to do heavy Hor D'Oeurves, but I really have no clue what kind of food to serve.  I know we are doing fruits and veggies-meatballs-and chicken salad in scooped chips.  Does anyone have some affordable ideas??

Re: Heavy Hor D'Oeurves ideas...Please Help!!

• I would ask her what her specialities are.  Just because you are a caterer doesn't mean you can cook EVERYTHING well.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oy, I just typed out a post and apparently it disappeared.

Really your choice of hors d'oevres will depend on how formal/casual a reception you would like. Typically, protein-rich items will make guests feel full faster, so if that's what you're aiming for, stick with mostly high protein items (meats, cheeses, dairy, legumes, etc)

A few ideas:
    - Hummus & Pitas
    - Shrimp rings (If you want this to be formal, you can dress it up by squirting some cocktail sauce in a shot glass and hanging a shrimp off the side of it... then pass around on platters)
    - Stuffed Mushrooms
    - Devilled Eggs (I probably wouldn't do this for a more formal wedding)
    - Cheese board & crackers (can be casual or formal, depending on how prepared)
    - Spring rolls or mini egg rolls
    - Mini quiches
    - Satay skewers (beef or chicken?) and a dipping sauce of your choice
    - Bruschetta is always a popular choice
    - Spinach dip & pumpernickel (again, probably a more casual item)
    - Spiced/seasoned nuts

Good luck! Also, since she's being so generous with her time, perhaps ask her if she'd like you to find her a few assistants to help out in the days leading up to your wedding :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards