Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Including parents in menu decision?

Just wondering who else may be bringing the parents to choose the menu - my groom wants to include both his and mine in our menu decisions although my parents are the only ones who are paying for the wedding, in addition to us of course. As a sign of respect he would like to include both sets of parents even though my parents have already told us it's unnecessary for them to be including in choosing the menu since they trust us. I am not sure how his parents feel about it because we've not talked to them about it. Still my groom wants all four of them to come to our menu tasting. Not sure what to do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Including parents in menu decision?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I find that the more opinions you have (in life as well as wedding planning) the longer it takes to get things done. I think it's a nice gesture to include parents in the menu process, but I'd just let them know that they're there to help with the decision and that the two of you reserve the right not to take their advice. If they still want to come along for fun, why not?

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...  as long as all parents know that the final decision, I guess it'd be okay.  I'd just worry about too many opinions leading to indecision.  To keep things simple, only my FI and I went to the tasting because my mother is so pushy about food and his family was OOT but also have undiscerning palates.
  • Options
    LisaLPharmDLisaLPharmD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are bringing both sets of parents, but the final decision is being made by us, with some input from my parents, who are paying .We invited his parents just so they could feel included, but we will only be basing our decision on those who are actually contributing anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

230image 205image 22image 3image
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not taking anyone other than ourselves.  The last thing on Earth I need is four-six different opinions on something as simple as picking a meal.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    eandringaeandringa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you may want to check with your vendor to see if this is even okay. Are vendor only allows bride and groom as they do a "event" with multiple bride and grooms.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We took my Dad with us for our menu tasting a few weeks ago. My Mom was going to come as well but she had to work at the last minute. My parents are paying for the reception so I felt it was appropriate for them to come with us. FIs parents live OOT so they did not come to the tasting. We did talk to them before hand and asked if there were any foods that they wanted included in the menu. Bringing my Dad along wasn't too bad, he brought up a few things regarding the menu that FI and I hadn't thought about before.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends how much the parents are going to say about the food.  I went to my food tasting yesterday with my FI, my mother, and my FI mother and my FI and I picked the meals and I asked them for opinions.  They gave suggestions of what would look good together or which veggie they liked better, it was nice having the imput cause my FI does not really care about the food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards