Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Fall Time Foods

So we are planning our wedding for next fall and we were wondering what to do about food. We thought it might be fun to have "fall time foods" to go along with the underlying fall theme of our wedding. Would it be weird to serve soups and finger foods, like little sandwiches. We thought it might me fun to have a few different kinds to choose from, like vegetable, brocoli and cheddar, chicken chili, and brunswicks stew. Would that be tacky? I don't know much about wedding etiquette, and i don't want it to seem lame or tacky. lol. We were also thinking it might be fun to have hot apple cider, pumpkin pies, maybe even some caramel apples, or something like that. What do you think?

Re: Fall Time Foods

• edited December 2011
    I love the idea of doing seasonal food! I'm a little confused about the link between the sandwiches and Brunswick stew... are you serving lunch or dinner? If you're doing a comfortable, low key wedding those food choices sound perfect (and exactly like what I want to be eating tonight)! The desserts, and the apple cider, sound especially delicious!
  • mrsjackson714mrsjackson714 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good. We thought it would be kind of fun to do seasonal foods. I just mentioned the sandwiches because we would probably have some finger foods too. It will be pretty low key, and it will be an afternoon wedding (so in between lunch and dinner) lol. Thanks! 
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think your idea and choices sound great.

For sandwiches I'd like to recommend something I've done for parties: have a large pot roast, bake with veggies, have the veggies on the side, and cut the roast to fit small rolls (ie like Hawaiian rolls). It tastes great and is a great fall or winter "small meal". You could also have cheddar cheese grilled cheese cut into quarters for dipping into your soups. You might want to serve the soups in small coffee cups instead of bowls, something small enough to fit on a dinner plate with side dishes or your sandwiches on the plate.

Your caramel apples could be your "favor", and along with the pumpkin pie I'd have an Apple Nut Pie with Caramel Sauce (there's a local bakery that makes that)

Good luck. Sounds great.
  • edited December 2011
    I absolutely adore fall foods, some of my favorite stuff ever. Pumpkin is one of my favorite ingredients year round. I actually made a pumpkin curry soup today. It is one of my favorites, I make it several times a year.

I went to a very glamorous fall wedding last year and they had caramel apples as their favors, SO classy! I think it would be great to have a spread of soups and pies if you're doing between lunch and dinnertime. Can I come? Tongue out
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww I love it!!! I think it sounds soo cute! You could do grilled cheese hehe! I think that your menu sounds delic!
  • jpharisjpharis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you Fall food items would work really well! Especially the pumpkin pie, hot apple cider, you might even throw in some hot chocolate and some Smores like item. Some kind of roasted chicken or turkey would also seem fall like depending on what you paired it with.
  • Brownie18Brownie18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am getting married this sat and we are having a apple cider fountain and assorted fall desserts to go with our fall theme
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yummm, please invite me, lol :) 

Here are some ideas (may have been mentioned already!)....
    -Mini roasted turkey sandwiches
    -Mini grilled cheese (goes well with a tomato bisque soup)
    -Mini pumpkin muffins
    -Mini pumpkin pie tarts
    -Pumpkin cookies
    -Hot cider and donuts
    -Warm teas, flavored coffees (I'm thinking of Starbucks' pumpkin spice latte!!)

I think for a mid afternoon, "between lunch and dinner" reception it would be good to stick with small sized portions (hence my over-use of the word 'mini' above!). 

Yum yum, good luck!  :)

• edited December 2011
    i love soup shooters! and i think its a great idea with bite sized sandwiches, just make sure theres enough variety to keep it interesting and fun!
    "The perfect marriage begins when each partner believes they got better than they deserve."
  • edited December 2011
    spice cake, mini cinnimon rolls, creme brulee (i think i might just love creme brulee, not sure if it's really a 'fall food'), soup (could be served in hollowed out gourds)...mmm, sounds like it'll be delicious no matter what you choose.
  • redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i helped with a friends wedding this summer that had soups and salads at the reception. they had Pho, chicken taco, italian wedding, and squash soup. it went over well and was easy to prepare. i love the caramel apples. i would do some just caramel and some with nuts. fall is my favorite season so all those fall foods sound great!
  • MommyMarta08MommyMarta08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married next October and I am incorporating some fall into my menu. One thing I'm excited about is that I am serving butternut squash soup inside miniature carved out pumpkins. I am also serving a lobtser mac in cheese paired with a pear, hazelnut salad, sweet potato ravioli, etc. There are plenty of other things too but those are the most "fall." Also alongside the cake, I'm serving pear and cranberry crisp and creme brulee. 
  • edited December 2011

I love desserts, so...
    Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese filling
    Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese filling
    Apple Cake with Caramel filling
    Caramel coved apples for the guess favors

What about small pumpkins with classy designs carved out and a candle in the middle for centerpieces?  Maybe a monogram desgin.

• mrsjackson714mrsjackson714 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I'm really excited about our fall time wedding! Laughing I can't wait! We are going to try to plan it outside underneath a giant oak tree at the park <3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards