Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake flavors

I am thinking of baking my wedding cake, but im not really a sweets person and really only like choc cake with vanilla frosting. The outside of the cake will be vanilla buttercream with sugar crystals all over it. what other flavors of cake would go with that? Does carrot cake taste weird with vanilla buttercream/sugar sprinkles? Thoughts/options please

Re: Cake flavors

• Options
    I would just stick with the classics, chocolate and vanilla cake.  Both taste great with vanilla buttercream and since they are simple many, if not, all people like the flavors.

• Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Carrot cake really needs cream cheese frosting, in my opinion.  I would do almond or vanilla, chocolate, and then some other flavor if you want a third, whether it's normal or "weird" (or vanilla, almond, and chocolate).  I like lemon cake with vanilla frosting, personally, but maybe you could ask FI or family what their favorite cake flavor is and incorporate that?  
  • Options
    willywally5willywally5 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavors-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:23324f07-438b-4dc9-986e-72261f07adc4Post:dfa6be6d-641e-4d11-8e4a-1a250857cadf">Re: Cake flavors</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Carrot cake really needs cream cheese frosting, in my opinion.</strong>  I would do almond or vanilla, chocolate, and then some other flavor if you want a third, whether it's normal or "weird" (or vanilla, almond, and chocolate).  I like lemon cake with vanilla frosting, personally, but maybe you could ask FI or family what their favorite cake flavor is and incorporate that?  
    Posted by egm900[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto on the carrot cake. Without cream cheese frosting, it's just a veggie trying to fool us all. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think vanilla, chocolate and one other would be great ... do you have a fave? Spice, lemon, red velvet? I think it's fun to have a mix. </div><div>
    </div><div>DD is doing cupcakes in several flavors: tiramisu (her fave dessert), peanut butter adn chocolate (groom is PB & Choco fiend!) creme brulee (cuz it's amazing!) and likely a couple more 'traditional' flavors. (We have a relative whose bakery specializes in cupcakes.)</div>
  • Options
    I think 3 good choices would be chocolate, white and lemon. Oh! I just remembered strawberry. I love strawberry cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards