Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Top Tier

I've seen other posts around here about the top of the cake, but for those of you who saved it, was it edible a year later?

I know it's tradition to save the top of the cake for a year, but really?

Is it worth it?

I was thinking of not saving it, and maybe taking a picture into a local bakery and having them re create it for our first anniversary. Atleast it's edible then Laughing

Re: Top Tier

• Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With my previous marriage, we saved the top tier.  It was total garbage and I feared we'd have food poisoning from the one bite.

Having the top tier re-created by the same bakery a year later is a much better option and it makes your top tier functional at your wedding. :)
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YAY - I did something right.....(KIDDING LOL)

It just seems more practical to have it recreated, though I respect the tradition!
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha, I agree - it's a neat tradition.  My fiance and I have discussed saving ONE SLICE of our cake this time, simply due TO tradition, but we're having the same bakery do our one year anniversary cake next year to serve and eat!

Good luck with your wedding and congratulations!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Melissamc2 - love the idea of saving a slice instead of the whole top tier!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My baker voiced the (obvious) opinion that that is kind of disgusting, and said that we'd be better off getting an anniversary cake.  I had to agree with her. 
    Final Siggy Challenge: Favorite photo with FI
    At the Apple Orchard
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My baker offers a replica of your top tier on your 1st, 5th, 10th, & 50th anniversary!!! So awesome, can't wait for our 1st in December! The tough part will be picking which flavor, we had different combos on each of the 4 tiers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is great that your baker does that!

I think we decided on having all 3 tiers be Red Velvet.
  • Options
    UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was MOH for a friend about 2 years ago...we tried the top tier of her cake on her 1 yr anniversary, and it was fine.  So long as you wrap it up right (2 layers of cling wrap, 2 layers of foil), it should be fine.  Probably not as tasty as when it was first made, but certainly safe to eat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ate ours for breakfasts in the ensuing week after the wedding. Embarassed
  • Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard it's not bad as long as you wrap it up correctly.  You need to do the two layers of saran wrap and then two layers of foil.  Then put it back in the box and do the same to the box. 
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_top-tier?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:34cdcf4c-ba01-453f-a5f8-1595b8b86ad4Post:b6edc6f8-7d72-4940-8f41-6479ffe26645">Re: Top Tier</a>:
    [QUOTE]With my previous marriage, we saved the top tier.  It was total garbage and I feared we'd have food poisoning from the one bite. Posted by melissamc2[/QUOTE]

Blech!  I can only imagine how horrible that must have tasted.

I'll kindly settle on the anniversary cake, please and thank you.  Not even attempting to freeze the top layer. 
  • Options
    Cray.anitaCray.anita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our caterer is removing the top tier like we are saving it but FI and I are totally planning to take it to the hotel with us and eat it when we are in our comfy clothes, either that night or the next morning!  We will just get another cake on our anniversary.

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't wait so we had part of ours this Valentine's Day after our November 2009 wedding.  It was delicious.  We saved the rest for our anniversary and we'll see how it comes out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards