Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What's on top?

I'm trying to think of a cake topper, but one not that's not the bride & groom or monogram topper.  I talked to the florist, but because of what flowers I want the only thing she could suggest was something I hadn't seen before and she didn't have a picture to show.  Not to mention, if I can spend less on flowers, that's great.   Any other ideas you've done or seen?

Re: What's on top?

• weddnoviceweddnovice member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Mini Buds roses grouped together would be nice.  Or you could have a Fondant Bow.
  • edited December 2011
    My boyfriend and I started out on google!  I was joking with him one day about the bride draging the groom (!) and we wound up searching for different toppers, it was a good place to start...one of our favorites is a see through heart that you can add a picture too or have monogramed; it was classy but different and will look great in the house afterwards! good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    It really depends on the style of your cake.

For instance, I knew someone who had a completely stark white cake, with a glittery pink 3d heart on top.  It was gorgeous.  But clearly wouldn't have the same effect on a more embelished cake.  I've seen crazy twirly sticks coming out the top, shards of hard chocolate, and even a small faux tree (for someone with an outdoor wedding in a woodsy area). 

If you don't want to do flowers or a monogram or a bride and groom, you really have to choose something that works with your theme and style.
  • edited December 2011
    What will the rest of your cake look like?  This will help a great deal in coming up with an idea for the top
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone...we're having a white buttercream cake with a fairly simple design.  We're doing tulips for the wedding and the florist recommended  laying a small bouquet on it's side on top of the cake with a ribbon flowing down...I'm not necessarily oppposed to that idea, but I just want to be able to see a picture of it before I agree to it.
  • edited December 2011
    I was browsing etsy.com (one of my favorite sites) a week or so ago and found these...

I wasn't even thinking of having a cake topper but I just had to have them!  The person who makes them was able to do one in brown for me and the other in bronze (my "colors") and I got them late last week in the mail and turned out perfectly.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=34221409
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    that's a cute idea.  i'm starting to think that i'm just not going to do a cake topper, but i don't think i've ever been on etsy.com, so i will have to check it out.
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did flowers on "my" cake and skiers on his (DW at ski resort).  I believe that the real flowers were less expensive than sugar flowers, and I like the look of real flowers better anyway.  Good luck :)

• ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that was really small!  Here's a closer look at the cake:

• NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made a DIY cake topper of little birds that are pretty different looking.  You can find them in my bio under DIY. 

There are so many cake toppers out there.  I'd post this on the DIY boards and ask people to show you their cake toppers.  Or seriously check out etsy.  The cutest stuff is there!
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards