Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Help - My caterer is blowing us off

So we had a friend of ours that was going to do our catering - we are having a backyard reception with about 50 people (all close family and friends).  We were going with his gourmet hot dog cart and he was going to do this for $250 including 3 dogs/chips/sodas.

I am getting nervous (even though we have until April 2013) because he never wants to return my calls, or texts to confirm or sign a contract.  

I need some help with some suggestions - my family would help with making stuff if needed so I could cater it ourselves.  But our budget for food and drinks is no more than 250.  

The ceremony is at 7 and the reception to follow right after.   any suggestions would be great! 

Re: Help - My caterer is blowing us off

• Options
    I wouldn't mix business with friends especially if the friend is already being flaky.  It sounds like a way to end a friendship and get caught up a creek without a paddle in terms of your wedding catering.

If you're serving hot dogs, chips, and soda I see no reason why you couldn't DIY.  
  • Options
    Agree with PP. If you haven't signed a contract with this "friend" then just send him an email ASAP saying that his services are no longer needed.

Grill up some hot dogs on your own.

I know you're not asking for menu suggestions, but could you have a tossed green salad as well in addition to the chips? Maybe a pasta salad? You may also want to have some soy hot dogs & chicken hot dogs available, as some people do not eat beef or pork.

Serve up with several kinds of condiments (relishes, mustards, ketchups, diced onions, kraut).
  • Options
    I agree with the prior posters, however instead of blowing this person off, I'd probably send an email stating that you are considering alternatives because he seems uninterested in responding to you, and you have a wedding to plan. There may be reasons, or yes, he may simply be a flake.

You could make all the hot dogs in advance and keep them warm in a chafing dish (they sell these kits at many party supply stores). I'd probably set up some sort of hot dog "bar", with various toppings, including maybe chili for chili dogs, plus what itzMS mentioned above. You could include things like grated cheese too.

I also agree you might want to offer a healthy selection like a mixed green salad with various toppings, like a salad bar. Maybe a fruit tray. All of this can be done for less than $5 a person if you watch for the best prices, you can make the fruit tray and salad yourself.

If this becomes too hard to manage with family or friends, look into local gourmet grocery stores, several around here do catering and they may be able to offer you an alternative within your budget.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone !    I am thinking we are going with the DIY food or checking on catering with our local grocery stores =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards