Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

preventing drunken guests

I'm thinking about sending each guest, of drinking age, a set number of "raffle tickets" so that they can't get too many mixed drinks.

wine will be at the tables.

any ideas on the "ticket" idea???

Re: preventing drunken guests

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_preventing-drunken-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:46b752c1-b871-4626-bbdf-09a122346f5fPost:78f5648f-0352-432e-b5f8-00c00b8372a6">preventing drunken guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking about sending each guest, of drinking age, a set number of "raffle tickets" so that they can't get too many mixed drinks. wine will be at the tables. any ideas on the "ticket" idea???
    Posted by leahoulicky[/QUOTE]

It's a horrible idea.  Your guests are grown adults who do not need you babysitting them regarding their alcohol intake.  And this may come as a shock to you, you can get drunk drinking wine just as quickly as you can with mixed drinks - or are you also limiting the wine that will be at the table because that would also be rude.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_preventing-drunken-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:46b752c1-b871-4626-bbdf-09a122346f5fPost:c70de980-0566-4ec5-8cb1-a7064d355794">Re: preventing drunken guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to preventing drunken guests : It's a horrible idea.  Your guests are grown adults who do not need you babysitting them regarding their alcohol intake.  And this may come as a shock to you, you can get drunk drinking wine just as quickly as you can with mixed drinks - or are you also limiting the wine that will be at the table because that would also be rude.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

Ditto. If alcohol is available in any form, people can get drunk if they are determined to do so. Trust your guests and hire a good bartender. 
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any ideas for tickets but I would like to suggest not doing that.

To prevent drunken guests, don't serve alcohol.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    ::rolls eyes::

Really?  Drink tickets?  How many is "not too many" drinks?

It's not your job to monitor your guests drinking, leave that up to the bartender.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know people who get drunk off of two drinks and others who can drink four and still be ok.  Don't try to control your guests.  If they're old enough to drink, their old enough to be responsible for their own actions.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oh FWIW I can get drunk off of 2 glasses of wine. So limiting the amount of liquor drinks, but providing wine at the table would not really work in my case.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_preventing-drunken-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:46b752c1-b871-4626-bbdf-09a122346f5fPost:6e73dfef-76c4-48fc-8dba-3b2a2305527b">Re: preventing drunken guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I know people who get drunk off of two drinks and others who can drink four and still be ok</strong>.  Don't try to control your guests.  If they're old enough to drink, their old enough to be responsible for their own actions.  
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

You just described me and DH :)
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    That is a very condescending idea as it says you don't think guests are responsible.  Bartenders should be trained to cut people off.  And, considering they aren't working for tips (since you are paying service or gratuity bill) they are more likely to do so than at a regular bar.  Why not do just beer and wine, no mixed drinks?  People can still get drunk but it may be a bit slower for most people.  You can instruct the bartenders that you don't want shots or shooters taken.  Also, you can have them pour lightly.
  • edited December 2011
    We had wine only at our reception.  The waiters had the bottles of wine and would refill the glasses as needed.
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_preventing-drunken-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:46b752c1-b871-4626-bbdf-09a122346f5fPost:d98beaa0-1fb3-49c6-a56d-774f29540d77">Re: preventing drunken guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had wine only at our reception.  The waiters had the bottles of wine and would refill the glasses as needed.
    Posted by 031107[/QUOTE]

Thats a more rational idea.

FWIW, not everyone drinks. They'll be giving their tickets away to the guests who do drink.
    There is also no concrete method for figuring out the proper number of tickets. As pp said, people can get drunk off of two drinks, others can last much longer. Why deny those people more alcohol just because others can't handle it?
  • harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One way to reduce mixed drink consumption is to include very appealing non-alcoholic options (think fancy punch fountain, apple cider, rootbeer float, special sodas along the lines of Jones sodas, etc).

Also providing plentiful food and good music will keep people from drinking on an empty stomach and on the dancefloor=away from the bar!

There's no classy way to limit drinks directly but you can give people other options of ways to have fun.
  • leogirl13leogirl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally I feel like I get druck off of wine faster than beer or liquor. I'm usuallt tipsy after a glass and a half to two glasses of wine but I barely have a buzz after 4 or 5 liquor drinks. Different people have different tolerance levels and it can vary by what they drink. Scrap the ticket idea and allow your guests to be adults.
  • edited December 2011
    I would make nice with people who didn't want their tickets and have a lot more for myself.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • leahoulickyleahoulicky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ^-^ Thank you very much for the responses! I think I will just have wine then. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards