Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Fake cake layer or no?

Hello Ladies,

I'm trying to figure out how I want my sweets buffet to look. We are having 150 guests, but I don't want to have a big traditional wedding cake. I want to have a cake that'll serve abt 50 guests (our big wedding party, parents, grandparents, immediate family), and do the remaining 100 in fun wedding cupcakes of complimentary styles and designs. and cake pops. :).

Here's the question: should I do a two layer and have it not stand out so much (shown in picture 1) or should I add in the fake layer to make it taller to stand out (shown in picture 2)? What are your honest opinions? Thanks! Picture 3 is just the cake I want to have. :)

Re: Fake cake layer or no?

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This just all depends on what you want.  We did a faux layer on our cake for two reasons: 1) to make it a little taller and 2) the stand was a lighted stand and our baker said that she suggests a faux layer to make sure the heat from the lights doesn't affect the actual cake.  No one knew the bottom layer wasn't cake, I couldn't even tell the difference.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In your case I'd go with smaller to blend in because there won't be enough "wedding cake" proper for each guest.  Having a big looking cake and then not enough of the actual cake for everyone just seems misleading.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_fake-cake-layer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:48ff617a-c3c8-46d4-b153-81df72ddc278Post:ceecf3fb-2eda-4475-9b27-fb115393818e">Re: Fake cake layer or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In your case I'd go with smaller to blend in because there won't be enough "wedding cake" proper for each guest.  Having a big looking cake and then not enough of the actual cake for everyone just seems misleading.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

I didn't think about it being misleading, NOLAbridealmost. That's a good point. I've just been discussing with so many people how it's much easier to grab a wedding cupcake and go sit down. I've been to weddings where tons of cake is always left over. But I guess two layer it is!
  • edited December 2011
    Remember that you will have to pay for the faux tier.  Some bakeries charge less for faux tiers, some charge the same for faux as real cake because the decorating time is the same.  So, it may be cheaper for you to have the third tier made from cake.

Cake tends to be left over when the cake is cut late in the night.  DJ's usually recommend holding off this the last minute to cut the cake to force people to stay (keeping the dance floor full).  I don't think that works.  If I want to go home, I don't care if the cake has been cut or not.  I am not going to wait for that happen.  My husband and I are not dancers so usually about 45 minutes after dinner we cut out of the reception.  If the cake hasn't been cut and served, that is 2 pieces the bride and groom paid for that won't be eaten.  We are usually leaving the same time as older guests and people with small children (either kids are tired or parents have to get home to relieve the babysitter).  The later into the night the cake is cut the more cake left over.
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted for the second layer.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • adktd2bootsadktd2boots member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go for it.  I'm thinking of making an entire fake cake and just serving sheet cake from Costco to save. 

My other thought is to just have a huge "eclectic" cake table with several different cakes, because it fits our theme.  It's not traditioal, but neither am I.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards