Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much cake?

I would like to get a groom's cake in addition to the wedding cake, but I have some questions....

Should I serve the groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner or the reception?  If I served it at the RD, it would probably be smaller (and therefore cheaper!), and it would be a fun part of the RD.  But my RD will probably be very small, and it would be fun for all of my guests to see the groom's cake also....

If I have the wedding cake and the groom's cake at the reception, how big does each cake need to be?  I am planning on 120 guests.

Thanks!

Re: How much cake?

• ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is entirely up to you and how much you want to spend on cake. From what I understand, the tradition is you eat the wedding cake during the reception and the groom's cake is cut up into cake boxes for your guests to take home. 

In contrast, we are serving both at the wedding. We wanted a hexagon shaped cake, and a four-tiered hexagon only served 120 people (minus the top tier), we are expecting 150. So we are getting a groom's cake to make up the difference, plus a little extra, and guests will have their choice of almond or fudge buttercream. 

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • edited December 2011
    Her is mine for 150... she said i should get for at least 175... so we can take our top piece... she said the grooms cake should feed 50 to 75 since some people will want to try both. Hope this helps!!! GL
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your cake baker should be able to help you determine how much you need.  We didn't have a groom's cake--we made one tier of the bride's cake chocolate and provided enough so everyone got a piece of both white and chocolate.  I have heard of doing the groom's cake at the RD and that's a nice idea too.  It's totally up to you.
  • msktn95msktn95 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are planning to do a grooms cake also.  We will have about 135 guest. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards