Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

am i crazy to serve chicken?

hi all, wedding is in 5 weeks and last night we had our meeting with our venue to choose the menu. we basically had to do a seafood appetizer because except for 2 choices, it was all lobster or shrimp or a combo of both. so i figured the main course options had to be chicken and beef since we already had a course that revolved around stuff that comes from the sea. the catering manager thought i was nuts and said that basically all of his couples choose a seafood appetizer and then serve fish or beef, that people don't put seafood and fish in the same category. he said he has never served chicken at a wedding.

what do you think? is it tacky to serve chicken since, as he put it, people are used to eating chicken 2 or 3 times a week? (there is a silent vegetarian option as well.)

Re: am i crazy to serve chicken?

• KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be serving chicken.  People eat alot of it, but not in the same way, a well done chicken is great and you should not feel weird offering it.  Many people don't eat fish or sea food, so it would give them more options.  That said if you want fish you can have it too, not a big deal to have an aquatic menu it all goes well together
  • edited December 2011
    if it's good chicken, then you won't have a problem. don't let your caterer bully you into something you don't want or can't afford.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it sounds like your caterer is trying to do the up-sell.  chicken is fine if you like it and like how the caterer prepares it.  yes, a lot of people eat chicken throughout the week, but so what?  if your guests don't want the chicken, they can have the beef or vegetarian dish.
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If we didn't like chicken, we wouldn't eat it 2 or 3 times a week.  If no brides have ordered chicken does that mean he doesn't know how to cook it?  
    What ways did he suggest serving it?  Grilled, Baked, Stuffed, Parmesan, Diane, Cordon Blue, Kebob, Satay,Coq au Vin, Curried, en Papillote, en Croute, BBQ, Paella, Pot Pie, Pad Thai?  There are lots of other ways to serve it, I just didn't want to type them all. :-)
    Google any of the above with the word chicken & you will get recipes & photos.  HTH
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do not eat anything that comes out of water...No fish, no lobster, no sea food or river food whatsoever...I have tried a lot of things, and just flat out do not care for any of it.  I would imagin there are others who feel the same way.  I would much prefer chicken!
  • edited December 2011
    whew, thanks for the reassurance! it isn't that he is trying to do the upsell because everything is included in our package, including the cake. he's just the event manager, not the chef. i 've used this company before and they do know how to cook chicken, but the fact that they rarely serve it for weddings explains why they have only 4 chicken dishes on the menu. i am very excited for the one that we chose!

we eat fish at least 3x a week so i am actually looking forward to not eating it at the wedding.

thanks all!
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely go with chicken.  Don't let anyone make you second guess that decision.
    10-10-10
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ya, I'd go with the chicken...I think it's more universally likeable than fish.
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's weird....I think the venue is trying to get you to choose a pricier option. I think chicken is a regular wedding menu choice. I'm sure there are different options for preparation of the chicken (grilled or breaded) and sauces to make it delicious.

I think at every wedding reception I've been to, chicken as been one of the options.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That is weird. In my experience, chicken is pretty much the go-to standard of the catering world.
  • Cray.anitaCray.anita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing chicken and pork loin with cranberry sauce.  I would actually be a little suprised not to have a chicken option at a wedding.
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I knew several people who won't eat fish, so having it as the only option woulkd be a little starnge for me to see. Even at fish restaurants they usually have at least one chicken option, ya know?
  • AlbireoAlbireo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they're trying to upsell you. Chicken is a versatile option. There are people who don't eat seafood or beef for religious reasons (for example) and chicken is something that most meat-eaters won't have restrictions against. A chicken dish and a veggie dish will give everyone something to eat.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the others, that's just really weird that he's trying to push the fish.  And people DO lump seafood and fish in the same catagory.  I had always believed that chicken was the classic 'go-to' to meal choice, just as others had said.  I also agree that more people are likely to prefer chicken over fish; after all, the number of fish options is too high that it's next to impossible to pick one that is universal.

Also, for his "people eat chicken 2 or 3 times a week" thing; that's beacsue people LIKE chicken.  It can be done so many different types of ways that even if you ate chicken everyday in a week you still wouldn't have the exact same meal twice.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing beef and chicken. I think your choice was a good one. Who cares what he thinks of how often people eat chicken?  I actually meat 3-4 times a week and hardly eat chicken but it's good that you're providing chicken to give guests the option !
  • abbiewebsterabbiewebster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Every single wedding ive been too ( 8)....ive had chicken, ive always heard the main course is usually chicken or beef. Go with chicken.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards