Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Reasonable cost for stations for 75 ppl?

I'm posting this here and also on the budget page, FYI.

I'm really struggling with catering.  Our wedding is 5 months away (from today, actually) and we haven't hired one yet.  I started looking nearly 2 months ago, but long story short, I really am left with only 1 option without starting over.  I actually REALLY like this caterer but I'm struggling to make it work in our budget.  With the fixed cost of the service staff and all the fees, there's not much money left to spend on food!  I had budgeted for $3000.  As of now our stations menu is costing about $22/person, which I think is reasonable, but does put us about $800 over.  Because our reception is outside, we also have to pay a couple thousand dollars for rentals (sigh).  Here's the cost/person breakdown:

appetizer buffet (spinach artichoke dip, mini sliders, fruit, cheese, mini twice baked potatoes): 7.18
Asian station (chicken lettuce wraps, fried rice, pot-sticker): 5.29
Mexican station (steak tacos, rice, black beans): 6.32
pasta station (basil pesto, Gemelli with buffalo mozzarella): 2.75

Any suggestions how we can get this closer to our budget?  We love our menu and don't want to majorly change.  Do I just suck it up and figure it out?  TIA

Re: Reasonable cost for stations for 75 ppl?

• Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need to post this on your local board as they will have the only accurate ballpark answer for you. Also you need to speak with catering companies in your area to get price quotes. Prices vary tremendously depending on where you are located. In most areas of the country, stations are much more expensive than a plated dinner or buffet because they have to have enough food at each station for the entire guest list plus enough for seconds and thirds.
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree that you should post this on your local board because prices vary extremely...

for example: when i was looking around at stations packages in CT, they ran between $60-125pp
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JessiTessJessiTess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that prices vary regionally.  Can you also talk to your caterer about how much your choices are? For instance, twice baked potatoes are labor intensive to make, is there a lower priced option that you might enjoy as an appetizer?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies.  I have posted on my local board, too, as you suggested.  :)

JessiTess: I hadn't thought about the labor intensive food items.  You have a good point.  I'll check with her!  Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi:

Have you asked the caterer? Start with a small request 'What can I do to decrease the cost by $2pp". Or, have you considered only doing the Asia OR the Mexican? This would still give the pasta option (liked by many), plus another one - but may decrease the cost.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards