Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

wedding cake

I am looking a bakeries for my wedding cake and I have question regarding paying for the cake.  How do you usually pay for the wedding cake?  I would like to pay half the price before the wedding then upon delivery at my wedding venue...to ensure that we get the wedding cake and it is all in one piece.  The wedding bakery I found wants me to pay the full price 2 weeks before my wedding date.  So how is the cake payment usually done?  Thank you for your help!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: wedding cake

• edited December 2011
    That's how my bakery did it, but we paid in full when we ordered it. You should have a contract that has the specifications of your cake and all the details of when/where it is to be ready so if you don't get the finished product, you still have it in contract. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Mine required a deposit 2 months in advance and then full payment 3 days before the wedding. 
  • edited December 2011
    I do have a contract but it says nothing about if the cake is not delivered.  I would like for it to say something about if we don't receive the cake we would get our money back or something like that.  Another thing that makes me nervous is that she won't give me references to call or email.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you're nervous then don't do it. Period. Find another baker that will give you references, and has a contract you're comfortable with! There are plenty of people willing to give you great service that you won't be worrying about :)
  • edited December 2011
    When we booked, we paid $100 deposit to hold our date, and the remainder is due 2 weeks before.  

July 10, 2010 Best. Day. Of. Life.
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gee- I see some red flags on that one!!  Not willing to give references??  I think I'd look elsewhere. 

And if there is something that you would like added to a contract, your vendor should be able to work with you to make those changes/additions-which you should get a copy and both should sign/initial!!
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the cake iisn't delivered after it's been paid for, it is a breach of contract.  Bakers should know this and also know that they can get sued for it.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    If the baker will not give you references and you have some concerns about the contract then walk away. There are plenty of other bakers out there.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards