Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

appetizer dilemma

Hi Ladies,

I'm having a hard time with appetizers for my wedding and rehearsal "dinner".  My wedding is a pretty laid back event with an estimated 100 people attending.  We decided to do an appetizer style rehearsal party instead of the traditional RD.  I have a few concerns  1) I want to make sure people are still getting enough to eat at the rehersal. 2) I want to make sure I'm providing a decent selection of food items at each event 3) I'm not sure what time to have the rehearsal party-event-thing since it's not a traditional dinner (I was thinking between lunch and dinner).

Here is what I am thinking about for wedding appetizers:
  • vegetable & fruit platter
  • mozzarella/tomatoes/olives platter
  • Cheese & Crackers
  • Coconut Shrimp
  • Stuffed Mushrooms  (1/2 crab & 1/2 feta and spinach)
For the Rehearsal I was thinking more casual/bar type food:
  • Salad
  • Mini Egg Rolls
  • Mild Boneless Wings
  • Pigs in a Blanket
  • Meatballs in Marinara sauce
  • Chicken Pineapple Skewer
What are your thoughts on the food I'm thinking about offering, would you change anything/add anything

What are your thoughts on what time I should have the rehearsal "party-thing"

Thanks for your input ladies, I'm going nuts trying to figure this all out!
I

Re: appetizer dilemma

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, are you having the rehearsal in at the venue with the minister? When have you booked the rehearsal for? If you do it early afternoon (like from 1-3 or however long you'll need [and keep in mind, it usually takes longer than you think]), then you could get away with appetizers after that (4-6).

If you're doing the rehearsal dinner the day before the wedding, you might want to stay away from heavy, greasy foods. I don't know about you, but I always feel a little gross (even though they're delicious) after eating them... I wouldn't want to feel heavy and leaden the night before the wedding! But, if that doesn't happen to you, then ignore what I've said.

I'd include a veggie tray for the rehearsal as well and some vegetarian dishes too. Maybe some fresh fruit to finish up for dessert?
  • Options
    klibertikliberti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts.  I am having mini pies as favors for everyone at the rehearsal which is why I didn't do a dessert option.  I'm going to have a salad offered for the rehearsal and the mini egg rolls are vegetarian (although no one invited is a vegetarian).  As more a less greasy food- that's why I through the chicken skewers on there.  I could definitely add a veggy platter for the rehearsal, that would be celery, carrots, tomatoes, red peppers and broccoli with dip.

As for the time-  I have no restrictions whatsoever for the actual wedding rehearsal, I'm more concerned with the time of the rehearsal party-thingy and I'll work the rehearsal around it.  BTW What should I call this event on the invitations?
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You would call it a Rehearsal Dinner or a Rehearsal Party, but traditionally it is called the Rehearsal Dinner/Lunch (depending on time of day).

I suggest you have the rehearsal first, then the party afterwards.  It will be easier to get it done before you eat versus after.  You dont want everyone complaining that they ate or drank too much and cannot concentrate on the task at hand. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards