Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

What the...FONDANT??!!

This is the cake I absolutely fell in love with the first time I saw it! I found it on a friends FB page, she used to do cakes..This is the cake I will have..My mom has gotten in touch with 3 different bakers for pricing and we have found a lady that will do this cake for 300 bucks and that includes delivery and set up.  This cake is made with gumpaste roses but we will use a few real flowers.  I am not a big lover of fondant, have only tasted it one time and it was awful!  But the baker said that she would make the cake with a layer of buttercream and put the fondant over it..Every baker my Mom talked to said to achieve this quilted look, it has to be made with fondant..We will be going next week to meet with the lady and taste her final product..So who all here is getting a cake with fondant? Do you like it? I heard so many people make it different ways..I just LOVE this cake!!

Cheryl (25) Andy (24) Newlyweds as of 8-17-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pregnancy week by week

Re: What the...FONDANT??!!

• Options
    Fondant is really necessary to create the look of that cake.  I personally like 90% of all fondant I have tasted, it is sweet though. 
  • Options
    All cakes that use fondat has a layer of buttercream underneath because that is how the fondant adheres to the cake.

This look is only achieved by using fondant.  Honestly there really is no great tasting fondant.  The fondant really is just for decoration and when you eat a slice of cake with fondant you typically will just peel the fondant off or just eat around it.

• Options
    Since the design of the cake require fondant, ask if they can use marshmallow fondant.  Tastes 100x better than regular fondant. 

Can a cake like that be done in marzipan instead of fondant?
  • Options
    I don't like fondant very much, and FI likes it even less.  We ended up going with a simpler cake design to accomodate our desire to avoid it. :)

That cake is lovely though, and fondant is easy to eat around for those who find it too sweet.
  • Options
    That design requires fondant.  All fondant I've tasted is gross and most everyone will take it off (I've never heard of marshmallow fondant though).  Frosting is required to get the fondant to stay, and when I've decorated with it, you don't end up using that much.  When I asked why not, it is because as you smooth out the fondant along the cake, if you have a ton of frosting under, it will work it's way out the bottom.  That said, if you don't like it, maybe the baker could do something else with buttercream.  But if it's your dream cake go for it.

• Options
    For the quilted look you need fondant--and I have to agree with some of the PP it is gross!!  My FI didn't understand my aversion until he tasted some at a wedding we went to in October--he was disgusted.  When we found the cake design we wanted we ensured that it could be made with no fondant--his request.  Some people will just peel it off, I will usually just avoid the cake altogether--
  • Options

I have not tasted any fondant that doesn't make me gag. I kept trying though, to see if I could find any bakery that could make it edible.   One made a very thin white chocolate fudge fondant, and it was the best I had tasted, but still gross.  

We went with a simple white whipped buttercream cake just to avoid the fondant.  We aren't getting a crazy spectacular design, but it will be delicious without having to peel a payer of plastic/wax tasting coating off of the cake.

With that said... I do love that quilted look. 

• Options
    YAY! The wedding cake has been ordered! My Mom asked a couple of friends if anyone knew of any bakers that did wedding cakes and found one...very professional. Mom said she responded promptly (impressive since 2 never wrote her back)..We met her at Panera for a tasting and OMG! I have never tasted anything like it! Impressed with her right off the bat! She brought some fondant for us to taste as she also agrees that this cake of mine needs fondant for the quilted look.  Her fondant is the kind made with marshmallows so it was delish! Not chewy like others we have tried!  The price she gave me for my cake was 275 with a 25 delivery charge for a total of 300.00...My mom agreed right away THIS was the lady who is doing my cake and the price is very reasonable! We had tasted some a couple of weeks ago and it was just chewy! So I am so happy to say that my cake order has been placed!  :)
    Cheryl (25) Andy (24) Newlyweds as of 8-17-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pregnancy week by week
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards