Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Help Picking a Bar Option

I have four bar options and I am having trouble deciding. These are only refering to alcohol as water, coffee, and soda are included in my PP headcount for the meal.
1. Paying Per Person.
2. Charged Based on Consumption.
3. Charged Based on Consumption with a Cap.
4. Cash Bar

We are inviting 130 people, but about 75% are OOT and we're expecting about 80-90 to show up. I would prefer not to pay PP because the lowest package doesn't include much variety and is $18 PP. This would be about $1600. I would like more variety and only about half of my guests will drink at all so I am considering a bar based on comsumption with a $800 cap. After that it would turn into a cash bar, but I doubt it will even reach that with the average price of drinks at my venue being around $4.50 (that's what the owner told me at least), and I know most people will just be drinking beer not fancy mixed drinks.

What do you think? My main worry is putting a cap and then people getting upset that "so-and-so got 4 free drinks, but I didn't get any" in the event that it does hit the cap and go to a cash bar.

Re: Help Picking a Bar Option

• I would do the per person price., at the very least up the cap to at least cover 1 drink per hour. 

I like knowing what the final bill is going to be.  So that is a big reason for having the per person price.    I also love to host guests and would want my guests to have more than 2-3 drinks.   That is all they will get with a $800.    

I would not count on your guests (1) not drinking a lot or (2) choosing beer over fancy drinks.  Many people get burned that way.   People like to drink at weddings, especially if they are OOT and on 'vacation'.  They also drink different dressed up at a wedding  than they do out in the backyard in a pair of shorts.

For example: I'm a huge beer drinker, but when I'm dressed up (wedding or otherwise) I tend to drink wine.  It seems IDK, more sophisticated.   It doesn't matter if I'm paying or not. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Whatever you decide DO NOT turn the bar into a cash bar at any point in time.  Cash bars are rude and you should not expect your guests to shell at any money at your wedding.

• So I should choose having no alcohol over an $800 cap that will turn into a cash bar? I am not expecting my guest to pay for anything. I am providing them with an over abundance of food, desserts, and unlimited non-alcoholic drinks. I just can't afford to pay $2500 for alcohol on top of everything else (which would end up being the case cause the $18 PP option is extremely limited and that would be the prices of the next highest package). Wouldn't guests rather have the option of alcohol? I am not trying to be defensive or anything. I just genuinely thought that the guests would prefer some alcohol over none at all.
  • I think guests would like a free limited bar than paying for their own drink at a bar that has more options.

What  are the bar packages?  Most things are negotiable, even packages.  If you can't afford that next level are they willing to take a $1-2 more per head to add a certain item?  It doesn't hurt to ask.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I can barely afford the first level so adding to it at all isn't possible. The first level is a very limited selection of beer and wine. That is why I was going to opt for a comsumption bar with a cap. I could see myself raising the cap to around $1500 (the price of the lowest bar package) but on the off chance that people hit that (and I really do think that it would be an off chance as many of our guests are opposed to alcohol for religious reason and I know they won't be drinking) it would still turn into a cash bar. If that is considered too rude then I will probably just opt for having no alcohol at all as the guests will already be receiving unlimited non-alcoholic beverages for the night. I really just thought having free alcohol for at least that first couple hours would be better than having none. 
  • If a lot of your guests really oppose alcohol do the consumption bar with a cap.  

Make it $1200 and then ask the venue to ask you before closing it down.  That way you can add more if you want, but not be locked in to something you can't afford.  

I would also ask if you can leave out some higher end items so your bill does not get too high too fast.

Good luck.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_help-picking-a-bar-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:5933cea3-caff-47e7-bffa-3d2128c610f8Post:af7876d9-9bbc-4706-9082-1a3449dfb8fa">Re: Help Picking a Bar Option</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can barely afford the first level so adding to it at all isn't possible. <strong>The first level is a very limited selection of beer and wine.</strong> That is why I was going to opt for a comsumption bar with a cap. I could see myself raising the cap to around $1500 (the price of the lowest bar package) but on the off chance that people hit that (and I really do think that it would be an off chance as many of our guests are opposed to alcohol for religious reason and I know they won't be drinking) it would still turn into a cash bar. If that is considered too rude then I will probably just opt for having no alcohol at all as the guests will already be receiving unlimited non-alcoholic beverages for the night. I really just thought having free alcohol for at least that first couple hours would be better than having none. 
    Posted by SarahAnn2[/QUOTE]

Absolutely nothing wrong with just beer and wine! 
  • FWIW, when determining the number of drinks that people will consume, that includes people who will not drink at all, or who will only have 1 drink. So unless a really, disproportionately large percentage of your guests do not drink for religious reasons, having a few relatives or friends who "aren't heavy drinkers" will not mean you will make out better with a consumption bar.

If you have a 4 hour reception and average 1 drink per guest per hour (which is actually pretty light), you'd end up spending $1800. So I think the package might be the way to go.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards