Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Holy crap food is expensive

Ok ladies what is the average food cost for a wedding event of about 120 people? Right now the place I am considering will do apps (artichoke dip, veggies, cheese and crackers), plates, silverware, napkins, service, clean-up, and a dinner of Chicken, Cod, prime rib (with a carving station), mashed potatoes, veggies, rice pilaf, biscuits, and a salad for $4646. Is this reasonable? Crazy? I have zero frame of reference so I need HELP! Thanks!

Re: Holy crap food is expensive

• This varies greatly depending on geographical area.  Check your local board.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

•  I agree it depends on your geographically location.  But it also depends on your venue.  For example Milwaukee might cost less than NYC.   But the Ritz in Milwaukee might cost more than a catering hall in another city. The best thing is to ask your local board.

That said, yours comes out to about $39 per person for everything you are getting.  To me that is reasonable (I paid a lot more) but other people in Milwaukee might night differently.

And remember to compare apples with apples.  Some people might say that's too much and they only paid $20 per person.  But later you find out that is just for food.  If you add in the plates, linen, silver, etc.  It ends up being more than you $38.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I live in the Detroit area, and what you have listed would be very reasonable for the food, presumably at an all inclusive venue (you didn't list tables, chairs, etc, so I'm assuming that's included).

Yes, wedding food is expensive. You can reduce the cost with lower priced options, forget the appetizers, go from 3 main courses down to 2, etc. Or, perhaps reduce your guest list.

You don't indicate if that includes the bar. Based on that price I'd assume any alcoholic per person price would add another $8-$10 per person.

If you think this is excessive, look around. Ask the brides on your local board for suggestions for something more inexpensive. But I think it will be tough to find anything less than that in the mid-west.

Look at it this way: If you and your fiance go out to dinner somewhere nice, do you expect to get a 3 course meal with a prime rib option for less than $40? 

Good luck in your planning.  
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_holy-crap-food-is-expensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:64aaa332-7f22-4cea-855d-3910ff2b1b65Post:e01a63bc-563e-4952-b453-5b185043f2a7">Re: Holy crap food is expensive</a>:
    [QUOTE] I agree it depends on your geographically location.  But it also depends on your venue.  For example Milwaukee might cost less than NYC.   But the Ritz in Milwaukee might cost more than a catering hall in another city. The best thing is to ask your local board.  That said, yours comes out to about $39 per person for everything you are getting.  To me that is reasonable (I paid a lot more) but other people in Milwaukee might night differently. And remember to compare apples with apples.  Some people might say that's too much and they only paid $20 per person.  But later you find out that is just for food.  If you add in the plates, linen, silver, etc.  It ends up being more than you $38.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Always. Lynda knows her stuff with catering questions. 

</div>
  • Our cost for about 112 people came to around $7500, service and gratuity included. That's a pretty good deal in the NYC area but obviously more per person than yours- it's very geographically dependant. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yep sounds about right.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_holy-crap-food-is-expensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:64aaa332-7f22-4cea-855d-3910ff2b1b65Post:6d091b6c-1370-4ae4-8c81-75fe6c4e64d5">Holy crap food is expensive</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok ladies what is the average food cost for a wedding event of about 120 people? Right now the place I am considering will do apps (artichoke dip, veggies, cheese and crackers), plates, silverware, napkins, service, clean-up, and a dinner of Chicken, Cod, prime rib (with a carving station), mashed potatoes, veggies, rice pilaf, biscuits, and a salad for $4646. Is this reasonable? Crazy? I have zero frame of reference so I need HELP! Thanks!
    Posted by ahart14[/QUOTE]

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards