Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Cost???

My Friend is making my cake for me and just said to give her whatever I think ....  I have idea how much to pay her?   

Re: Cake Cost???

• edited December 2011
    how elaborate is the cake? At the very least comp her for the ingregiants and time she spent baking and decorating, I would go a little higher than that and get her a nice gift as well.
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    An average price for a cake (in my area anyway) is around $3.00 per serving.  I'd say pay her no less than $1.00 per serving to cover her costs, and anything above that to be considerate of her time involved.
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What bridalgal50 said along with the gift that katieanne85 suggested.  I would give the gift after the wedding when money is more available. 
    The money is for the work being done on your behalf.  The gift is a thank-you.

I realize that this is short notice, but can you pay her to make a cake for mother's day to test her skill level?
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cake cost is one of the most subjective prices I've found with wedding planning.  Location, time of year, tiers involved, theme of cake/wedding, colours used, frosting used,, and decorative additions can all alter the price drastically - as can flavours.

If you can describe the cake (even briefly), I think we could probably all give a slightly more accurate answer to make this easier on you than just "it depends."  Haha.  I'm sure that isn't useful or helpful at ALL!  Also, how good is she at what she does?  Is it a career, a sideline business, or just something nice she does for people from time to time?

For example - a friend of mine was married not long ago and had a family friend do the cake.  It was kind of sliding, didn't look super professional, but tasted fantastic.  I think it was around $200 and fed about 125 when you factored in the three small-ish tiers of the main cake and two just basic quarter sheet cakes on the side.  Two flavours were used.

Another friend, getting married next year, is paying $400 for three tiers (all different flavours) to serve 100ish from a reputible bakery, using fondant.  (which I hate, for the record)

We are using a very well known bakery out of Toronto, will have two flavours, four tiers, it'll feed upwards of 200, is ornately decorated with white buttercream with black buttercream accents, and has edible white roses cascading down one side.  It's right around $1k.

Most fall somewhere in between all of those.
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    We are paying $300 for a cake that will feed about 125.  It has five layers with different flavors and designs on each.  Buttercream frosting. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!
    You ladies are getting off lucky!
    I'm paying $250 for a 3 tier cake and ONLY the top tier is real!
    Our venue is supplying dessert, so we didn't see the point in having cake for our guests!
    In my area, for my cake, it can go anywhere from $250 to $700 depending on the bakery!
  • edited December 2011
    Our cake is a 6 tier round cake that serves 196 guests. It has 2 flavors -- each w/ a different filling (that we got complimentary for booking after a bridal show) -- Vanilla Almond with coconut pecan & Chocolate with raspberry fudge filling. In addition it has scroll work on 2 layers w/ ivory ribbon at the bottom of each and crystals on 3 of the tiers. It has sugar roses, orchids and hydrangea stragtegically placed here and there. It is STUNNING and we picked this bakery because the flavor is the best, but her work was the best we saw at the show as well! We are paying $475.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cost-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:68091dc1-d315-4e9c-b61d-1c98214d3467Post:2d392487-dc7e-4217-9161-4c7ed37b2ab8">Re: Cake Cost???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow! You ladies are getting off lucky! I'm paying $250 for a 3 tier cake and ONLY the top tier is real! Our venue is supplying dessert, so we didn't see the point in having cake for our guests! In my area, for my cake, it can go anywhere from $250 to $700 depending on the bakery!
    Posted by kparker83[/QUOTE]

<div>will your gusts know that the cake is fake? or will they wonder what happened to it and why they dont get a peice?</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards