Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Are cupcakes more expensive than a wedding cake?

I'm considering doing a small cake for myself and my groom, and cupcakes for the guests (approx 100-120 guests).  To me, it would seem less expensive, but I have heard the opposite.  I'm thinking simple, not complex cupcakes/cake.  Has anyone checked this out?  I would like to be a little more informed before speaking with vendors.

Re: Are cupcakes more expensive than a wedding cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I never looked into getting cupcakes done for my wedding, but I know that the place where I am getting my cake done at charges $3.75 per cupcake.  My cake is costing $500 for approx 200 people.

So for 200 cupcakes it would cost about $750...that being said, she would probably offer a discount if I was asking for 200 cupcakes, and I'm pretty sure there would be more cake in a cupcake than in the slice of cake each one of my guests will be receiving.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on where you live. Several of my friends in Ottawa had cupcakes because they were cheaper. Maybe ask on your local board!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Like she said i depends on where you live...but if you REALLY mean simple cupcakes...i would say no more than 2 dollars per cupcake...however, some bakeries like wal-mart, winn dixie, publix etc., charge by the dozen...5 to 6 dollars a doz.   Good luck and hope you can find out what you need.

• Options
    Jamilynn627Jamilynn627 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It may be cheaper or it may not be. Cupcakes need to be individually iced so they can be more expensive than cake, but cakes require extra care to make sure they can properly support multiple tiers.It really depends on the actual baker. Best of luck with your research!
  • Options
    ccenter1ccenter1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes will usually run cheaper because its easier to whip some icing on 200 cupcakes than it is to ice 4 tiers of cake, stack them and decoarate it. but it does depend on where you live some people charge $5 for cupcakes on an everyday basis and some only charge  $1.50. call around to your local bakeries and they should be able to give a price over the phone.
  • Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are often just as labor intensive as doing a tiered cake.  In my area cupcakes are the same price, if not higher than a tiered cake serving. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could make the cup cakes yourself? Or ask a friend/aunt or someone who you know is good at baking.. You could also do it with your bridesmaids as something fun the day before the wedding..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards