Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

groom's cake

hello ladies,

My FI has a thing for chocolate ganache, and I want to surprise him with a groom's cake at the reception. My question is this, how big should the groom's cake be? We are expecting around 150 guests, and the  wedding cake is going to be made big enough to serve everyone. Should the groom's cake also be big enough to serve everyone? Or should I have both cakes serve 75 guests? How does this traditionally work out? 

TIA!

The truth behind a well laced dress

Re: groom's cake

• Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that splitting it 50/50 is a good idea. I am serving the grooms cake at our rehersal dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    I would say 75 servings at most. Not everyone will eat cake, and if there are two options you will be likely to have some left over.

You could probably even order fewer servings of the "wedding cake" and still be fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just told our baker that we wanted to serve 75 people between both cakes.  She worked out the details.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rillarsonrillarson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding cake is serving 100 people and the grooms cake is serving 50 people. My baker said that if more than 150 RSVP she will make me a sheet cake in the same flavors as my wedding cake and they can serve it from the kitchen. I have no problem with that as I would rather have a gorgeous smaller wedding cake than a huge not as pretty wedding cake. Hope that helped!
  • jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I, too, am serving the grooms cake at the rehearsal dinner.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think you should split it 50/50, or discuss with your bakery if you are getting both at the same place. 

I have heard many stories of couples having alot of the "brides" cake left over, but not a crumb of grooms cake left. The last thing you need to worry about it what to do with a bunch of leftover cake. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards