Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Tipping for a buffet reception

Hi all!

I'm unsure of what the tipping etiquette is for food at my reception.  We are having passed hors d'oeuvres at our reception and then a buffet dinner.  Do I tip for one and not the other or do I tip for everything.  Who would I tip and how much?

Thank you, thank you!

Re: Tipping for a buffet reception

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tip for all of the food.  Even if it's buffet, someone had to prepare the food, set up the buffet tables, carry out the food trays and dishes, and clean up after you.  The typical tip is 15-20%.  Check your catering contract to see if they automatically charge a service gratuity.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of vendors add in a gratuity to their bill so you should check to see if they did that first.  It will be in your contract.  If not then you should tip about 15%.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am dealing with this same question too.  My caterer charges a 15% service fee for set up and take down, but that does not include gratudity.  If I'm paying them an extra 15% for their work I feel like that IS their gratudity!!!  So I'm stuck on this one too....
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tipping-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:6f77fdaa-3f28-47a2-bec5-a7a1ca96a380Post:92dbfaa8-42c6-4774-b5a8-ca41907520bc">Re: Tipping for a buffet reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am dealing with this same question too.  My caterer charges a 15% service fee for set up and take down, but that does not include gratudity.  If I'm paying them an extra 15% for their work I feel like that IS their gratudity!!!  So I'm stuck on this one too....
    Posted by Leah&JP[/QUOTE]

So the 15% is for set up and take down of the tables and chairs?  Is that a percentage of the whole tab, or just the furniture/cutlery/dinnerware bill?  Hmm...

Well, you still need to tip the waitstaff.  15-20% of the food cost for your waiters and the same for the bartenders.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, the 15% is for set up and take down of the buffet tables and it's a percentage of the food and drink cost.

So I'm thinking another 15% of the food and drink cost for gratuity. 
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards