Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Groom's cake

I am planning on having a superman-symbol (you know, the S) cake for my FI at the wedding. It doesn't have much detail to it since it is flat, and I got a quote from the bakery I wanted to use for $150. Is that too much? How much are groom's cakes??

Re: Groom's cake

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That seems high to me. How many people is the cake supposed to feed? I got a 1/4 sheet cake with a flat design for 50 people and it was $50.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is 18 inches wide shaped in that superman design and covered in fondant.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_grooms-cake-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:7733d44b-ac87-485d-95fd-763d8210f0c6Post:60b020bc-90a4-4a61-8969-d4dfb2b919c8">Re: Groom's cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is 18 inches wide shaped in that superman design and covered in <strong>fondant</strong>.
    Posted by MyWedding13[/QUOTE]
    Bingo. ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is a pic of DH's Arizona State Grooms cake that was covered in buttercream.  It cost $60.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fondant is more expensive, but that still seems high to me. The logo is a fairly simple design itself, so it sound be easy to make. I would see if you can haggle at all to bring it down. Or see if they can screen print the logo onto buttercream, which is what our groom's cake done like.

Fondant isn't very tasty either, so right now you'd basically be paying more for something no one is going to eat.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you can go with Buttercream instead of fonduant. Fonduant is usally more expensive, but that still seems high. Some peoples weddings cakes are that much!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel like that design wouldn't be hard to pipe at all.  I think you should shop around more and find someone to do it in buttercream, unless your wedding is outdoor in July.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am seeing if I can get it done in buttercream since it is a fairly simple design. Hopefully, that will knock down the price!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is a good price for a cuatom fondant cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is really high for that type of cake.  I am spending $200 on my FI's cake but it is a Coleman Lantern with all the detail.  She even took some of the price off cause I am supplying her the globe and bail(handle) for her from a US Version of the lantern that they are making for me.  I am super pumped.  It is going to be an exact replica of the replica that I am having made for him! AHHH! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This was our cake, and it was $83 in Bartlet, IL, and $5 for delievery (I see you're from Chicago). It seems like your price is a little high!

• Options
    laciedsmithlaciedsmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you know anyone that bakes? One of our groomsmen made a cheesecake about 16 in in diameter and decorated it to look like our college logo with fruit. You could do this with Superman too. Since you aren't using frosting it is easier for just about anyone to do. Take a look at our groom's cake- 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards