Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Flavors

My Fiance and I are trying to figure out cake flavors. We both LOVE red velvet but I'm worried its more of an aquired taste. Should we appeal to the masses and go with something more common, or make it our wedding with a cake we'll love? Any ideas?

Re: Cake Flavors

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never encountered someone who didn't like red velvet cake.

I don't like that lemon goo filling, FWIW.
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My FI hates red velvet cake.  But then, he hates ALL cake, so there you go. 

I love red velvet cake. 

Can you do two flavors?   One red velvet and one something else?  Or a red velvet grooms cake and a different bride's cake?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never met someone who doesn't like red velvet.  Ditto PP on not liking the lemon goo filling.   
  • Options
    utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like red velvet, I'd have two flavors. Maybe more red-velvet than another? 
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Appeal to the masses.  You are getting the cake FOR them.  That being said, you don't have to be boring about it.  At our wedding we had white/icky lemon goo filling :), chocolate caramel turtle, and white with raspberry goo.

With all due respect to the Southern knotties, can someone please tell me the attraction to red velvet cake?  Cake is my favorite food group but I just don't get the appeal.  I've tried it in the south and I tried Paula Deen's recipe because g'daughter wanted red velvet cupcakes for her b'day.  I just can't develop a love affair with red velvet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're having a cake that is several tiers, you could probably do a different flavor for each tier.  We are having a bigger wedding so we decided to get a small cake to cut and have a bunch of cupcakes in various flavors.  I <3 variety :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Surprisingly, not many people like red velvet:( my fiance and I LOVE red velvet!!!!! But we chose vanilla and strawberry filling. Some with filling and some without. It will be soooo good!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're never going to appeal to everyone, so do what you guys like! I happen to dislike cake with fruit filling, which is very popular for wedding cakes it seems. My only suggestion would be to add a vanilla option for people who can't or don't eat chocolate.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As some PPs mentioned, I would have a couple flavors.

We really wanted 4 flavors, had we served 4, red velvet would have been one.  Our baker and caterer (not affiliated) suggested no more than 2.  So we are having chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and fresh strawberries and white cake with cassata filling.

In general, I recommend choosing food that will please a variety of people. Most people like red velvet, so a good combination would be to have red velvet and a basic white cake with neutral filling of some kind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    leogirl13leogirl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love red velvet personally. I would do it and have a second type avalable. I totally concur with the fruit filling...I've never tasted any I liked. I'm also not a fan of fondant even though it looks really pretty.
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have more than one filling. Have one that you like and then one your FI can stand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would go for 3 tier cake, for each tier are added with different flavor is strawberry,chocolate and vanilla.It is the multi flavor cake.The cake would be colorful for decoration and for tasting the cakes.
  • Options
    stephsapcutstephsapcut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are doing cupcakes and our cake person recommended cheesecake flavor....since my fiance and I both love cheesecake.  Has anyone ever had regular cake that was cheesecake flavored?

Also, my dad doesn't think anyone will eat it because it's cheesecake flavored, but he is the only person I know that doesn't like cheesecake.  What do you all think?
  • Options
    IhearttoddyIhearttoddy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE red velvet! That is what I want :) This is probably my toughest decision other than venue. ANd my FI hate cheesecake too. I do't get that 1 bit! it is sooo yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards