Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

sushi or raw bar?

Do people prefer sushi or raw bar at cocktail hour. Fot sushi how many pieces per person is enough if we are also having 10 passed hour'derves and no stations?

Re: sushi or raw bar?

• We had both!  

I would say 3-4 pieces per person.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would prefer sushi; there are more options that strictly raw shellfish....I would think it would be a bigger crowd pleaser.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_sushi-or-raw-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:7fde9e4a-e2ea-4c20-91da-8296b4846683Post:c885f5a1-9672-45df-8488-41800dec0236">Re: sushi or raw bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would prefer sushi; there are more options that strictly raw shellfish....I would think it would be a bigger crowd pleaser.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with NOLA.  I think sushi is more of a crowd-pleaser, too.  </div>
  • Will this be the only option for your cocktail hour?  
  • No, this is not the only option. We have 10 other passed hour 'derves.

• I would personally prefer the sushi, but since you have plenty of other passed apps I would think you'd be okay with either.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_sushi-or-raw-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:7fde9e4a-e2ea-4c20-91da-8296b4846683Post:4f8a67bb-7330-4bf6-95bb-6c09c87f3f89">Re: sushi or raw bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: sushi or raw bar? : I agree with NOLA.  I think sushi is more of a crowd-pleaser, too.  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it depends on your crowd and where you are from.</div><div>
    </div><div> Raw bars are very popular where I got married (NJ).  While the sushi is popular, it's still a little 'trendy' for some of my older guests.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Growing up eating crabs, shrimp cocktail, clams, mussels were weekly events in the summer. </div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I personally would prefer a raw bar, but I think most people would prefer sushi.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're having a raw bar. Have you gone for a food tasting of the sushi yet? I'm a bit picky when it comes to that and don't think everyone can make good sushi- I would try it first to make sure you are happy with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards