Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Advice on menue & wine

Dinner menuGarden saladPasta with red sauce, meatballs & sausagePasta alfrado with chickenAngle hair with butter and garlic sauceGarlic BreadWedding cakePlease help me out is this a good menu and we will be having beer & wine can I get suggestions on wine please.

Re: Advice on menue & wine

• edited December 2011
    I love pasta and the overall menu sounds great to me.  I am a little worried about vegetarians though.  Is your only vegetarian option the angel hair with butter and garlic?  That sounds almost like a children's pasta to me; a little boring maybe?  It might be nice to jazz up the meat free option with some roasted veggies or mushrooms.  You could also make it possible for guests to get the spaghetti and the alfredo without the meat on top.  Otherwise, I'd be very happy with that menu. 

For wine I recommend a nice but inexpensive Cabernet like Rex Goliath and a medium bodied Chardonnay.  I don't drink a lot of inexpensive white wine so I don't have a brand name to give you. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with NOLA that vegetarian options seem a bit limited.  Otherwise your menu sounds good, I love pasta. :)

I would also go with a medium bodied chardonnay for the white.  For the red I personally would go with a merlot, but I prefer merlot over cabernet.  Cabernet probably compliments the food better.  I would look at what your family and friends drink the most and see if there are any favorites in your circle.  Do you have any local wineries that may have affordable options?  I love local wineries.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would substitute pasta primavera for the angel hair with butter, take the chicken out of the alfredo so vegetarians can eat it, and then add some grilled veggies and chicken served separately from the veggies.  Then everyone should be able to find something they like.
  • MidnightMareMidnightMare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with the PP's. Maybe offer the chicken for alfredo on the side, that way vegatarians can have it but people can still have the chicken option?

As for wine, I did "2 buck chuck" from trader joes. People were stealing wine on their way out they liked it so much Yell I dont think they  realized it was so cheap! If that is no available to you, Alice White is my FAVORITE wine in the world. And its only 5.99 or so a bottle! Yumm, love me some chardonnay!
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed on the vegetarian issues.  

For wine, I would go with pinot grigio for white and cabernet or merlot for red.  I would go to a liquor store (or TJ's, if they have alcohol near you) and try a bunch of bottles in your price range.  We had Grayson Cellars merlot, retails about $10/bottle, and it was great.  Our white was Big Claw white (blend), but that's more of a seafood wine, so not sure if it would be great for you.  I am not a chardonnay fan.  

As for beer, I would have one light beer, one or two well-known/liked beers, and one local microbrew.  Are you thinking kegs or bottles?  I think we had Bud Light, Sam Adams, Heineken, and Shipyard (bottles).  
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Just an FYI to make at least a cursory check of the guests for dietary needs for medical issues.  I can't eat regular pasta (medical condition), so I'd likely end up just eating salad, which wouldn't be very satisfying. If you have anyone with celiac disease, they wouldn't be able to eat it or the bread either.  You don't have to cater to picky eaters, but it's nice to make an effort to have most bases covered.
  • MidnightMareMidnightMare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good point RebeccaB88, but I disagree a little. If someone has a food allergy, it is their responsibility to make a note of it on the rsvp and/or contact the bride to alert her so special accomidations can be made. Planning a wedding is alot of work, and there is enough to do without having to call every guest and hodl their hand while asking if they need special accomidations.

I invited one of my bridesmaids familys since I was close to her parents and had a good relationship with her brother having spent so much time at her house, and even met his fiance in passing a few times. We of corse invited her brother to bring his fiance "K". At the wedding, on my way back to the buffet line to get another napkin, the caterer ran up to me panicked asking were they supposed to bring a special meal? I was very confused, until my BM walks up and goes "ya, K has ceiliacs, remember". I had met "K" only a few times, and had no idea she had a food allergy. "K" is a nice girl, we talk some on fb and run into each other occasionally in town, so she would have the ability to contact me to let me know/remind me of her situation. It was never mentioned and it was not noted on their RSVP, or mentioned when I saw her earlier in the month and had to run, ironically on my way to meet the caterer.

If I had a special dietary need It is my job to double check that the person in charge knew If I had the ability to contact them myself, esp with such a sensative allergy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards