Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Candy Buffet? Ice Cream Buffet? Both?

I have a lot of children in my, extended family and loved the idea of a candy buffet as soon as I heard it. And because my wedding will be in the summer, I was also thinking about doing an ice cream buffet as well.
Should I maybe only go with one? And if I do do both, would it be tacky of me to ask the adults to not take anything from the candy buffet, since it originally is just for the kids?

Re: Candy Buffet? Ice Cream Buffet? Both?

• KTina&BJKTina&BJ member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Are you having a cake too? I would think both might take the attention away from the cake. I wouldnt tell guests though that its only for kids. If its there it should be open for everyone.
  • utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd do just candy. Ice cream would melt and could be a mess.
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married next July and I am planning... We aren't having a cake but we are having   Brownie Cupcakes to go along with our Ice cream bar and we will have a separate candy bar. 

What you could do, is just incorporate the candies into your sundae bar as toppings.  I wouldn't tell adults the candy is off limits to them.  If you want to create small saks of candy for the kids that would be okay.

Ps.  Talk to your caterer about the ice cream to make sure it is doable...
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO, I say do both! The more options the better.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing the candy bar alot of little kids here to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JustGLAMOURJustGLAMOUR member
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion if you would like to do candy for kids would be a "reception kit". Coloring book, crayons, and candy.

I'm not crazy about the ice cream buffet. I just think of how messy it could get. Maybe a sno cone stand would be a nice alternative?
  • kimberlyr22kimberlyr22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have about 25 kids planning to attend, and were originally going to do an ice cream bar; until, we found out that after catering costs for a sundae bar, it's cheaper to get Rita's to swing by with a catering cart with all of our favorite flavors and toppings. 
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just do the candy buffet.  I can take the candy home as a little treat (or favor) but I can't with the ice cream.  I'd have to eat the ice cream there and may not be hungry after dinner.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing candy centerpieces that guests can take home as favors as well as cotton candy (hiring someone to come with a machine) and an ice cream sundae bar :) We're kids at heart
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 January Siggy Challenge: The Shoes
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd do one or the other. I'm leaning more towards the ice cream bar if you can figure out how to keep it cold!!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_candy-buffet-ice-cream-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:98555704-062d-48a6-9291-3e32db62307aPost:4d58b69b-1d32-42ef-a1a3-edec651ede5e">Re: Candy Buffet? Ice Cream Buffet? Both?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just do the candy buffet.  I can take the candy home as a little treat (or favor) but I can't with the ice cream.  I'd have to eat the ice cream there and may not be hungry after dinner.
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

This.
    1- Ice cream is messy and sticky
    2- It will probably melt unless you hire someone to come by
    3- I would make a candy buffet as a favor table and just let everyone take some home.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • rosesarefreerosesarefree member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally I would not do both, if it were my wedding and I had the budget I would do a candy buffet then serve a single scoop of ice cream with the wedding cake.

Another idea if you're not dead set on a traditional wedding cake is a cake bar- similar to an ice cream bar with toppings, whipped cream fruit, etc., but with angel food cake or poundcake instead of ice cream. Way easier to deal with logistically in summer and not something I've ever seen before (our caterer does them).

Photobucket
  • mizkrizmizkriz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BOTH! Have candies in your buffet that can be placed on the icecream sundaes! M&Ms, gummy bears, and other opened candies :)
  • TRew42TRew42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing a cake, but instead doing an ice cream brownie bar! We'll have candy toppings, syrups, etc. The caterer is handling the brownies and ice cream for us - so we don't have to worry about it melting. 
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing the candy bar for the adults, I was at a wedding where it was the hit!! But Ice scream sounds great too. I say do both>
  • Caren&GaryCaren&Gary member
    edited December 2011
    It's tacky to TELL adults not to eat the candy. However, you could have a clear "Kid Zone" area of the reception. You could get small tables (like what preschools use) with a coloring table, blocks and small toys, and a candy bar. That way it will be clear that the candy is for the kids.
  • mrsd102907mrsd102907 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the idea of a candy bar!! My mom did ours for my wedding and she actually started up her own business. She is on facebook under cosmopolitan candy buffets and she is located in central jersey. Here is her website... BTW Our guests loved and raved about the buffet, people loved taking home candy. We gave a donation as a favor so this was a nice way to have guests bring something home. Good luck!!
    www.cosmopolitancandybuffets.com/">www.cosmopolitancandybuffets.com

www.cosmopolitancandybuffets.com/">
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of a candy buffet too. It is really cute. Caren's suggestion is really good - putting a Kid Zone sign or something like that would accomplish that in a polite way. However, many adults like candy as well and would like some. The ice cream would probably get messy and sticky unless you had someone serving it and putting it away immediately.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DEE0979DEE0979 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a candy buffet too. I saw a pic in a magazine and it looked too cute! I don't know that  would do the ice cream too. Especially if you are having a traditional wedding cake as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi. I am also doing a candy buffet but my fiance doesnt like candy but loves ice cream. So I may just do the ice cream. I plan on hiring an ice cream truck for a couple of hours. The only children will be the flower girls & ring boy. But in your case I would just get enough candy for everyone. Adults like candy too. Or you can ask that the kids get their candy before the adults get theirs.
  • msgreen08msgreen08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with one or the other.... Both may be a bit overkill and a little too trendy. It's impossible to include every "In" trend, so I would go with one's that are most reflective of you and your fiance's personality. My fiance' and I are candy-holics and everyone knows it! So, if this were me having to decide for my wedding, we'd have an ENORMOUS candy bar, which would be very indicative of our personalities. Smile
  • meofmanynamesmeofmanynames member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Several of my friends have been guests at weddings where there was a "candy buffet" as the wedding favors! (killing two birds with one stone perhaps?)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_candy-buffet-ice-cream-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:98555704-062d-48a6-9291-3e32db62307aPost:25b35f5f-f8cb-4005-9714-bc13eb596eaa">Re: Candy Buffet? Ice Cream Buffet? Both?</a>:
    [QUOTE]C Candy buffets are a big hit at weddings. You can make a fun sign to designate the children only section. Here are some examples in my slide shows below. The ice cream station is much more work, so I suggest the candy. Every time I do one at one of my events, the guests go crazy over them. Exquisite Events by Julia (210) 380-3981, I own the Candy Buffet S A company locally. Also, you can make a kids corner or kids table with their own favors, etc. . Those are a fun and wonderful thing to have at a reception. Weddings are about family, why not celebrate your littlest guests?   <a href="http://www.photoshow.com/watch/dB7YG9ut" rel="nofollow">http://www.photoshow.com/watch/dB7YG9ut</a>   <a href="http://youtu.be/nu6T0MKUmlA" rel="nofollow">http://youtu.be/nu6T0MKUmlA</a>  
    Posted by babywat[/QUOTE]

babywat - you are certainly busy spamming the boards tonight!  reported again.
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    one or the other not both candy one sounds better

• edited December 2011
    I agree with the candy but it may get wild. Children and sugar they tend to get aggitated if given too much. How about a favor table where the kid friendly wrapped in special boxes? In the gift put each of their names personally to make them feel important. Have a few kids songs. Also you may want to include a coloring book and crayons. This will keep them busy and it wont be so hyped up if you know what I mean. I work with children or should say I used to. Another thing you could do a friend of mine did in NY was have a special room set aside for them to go and play watch movies or just rest. Lets face it kids can get very ansy with events like these. Good Luck.Innocent
    Rodney and Kathy forever. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are going ice cream sundae bar, but also doing cake. I have never been to a wedding that had one so we were excited to do something a little different. Is the ice cream bar supposed to be the favor too? If i got candy I would know its a favor whereas with ice cream I probably wouldn't think it was because I can't take it with me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ice Cream would be considered a desert. Also with the Candy favors for the kids you may also want to consider some sugar free candy for those children with health problems such as ADHD orDiabetees's Innocent.
    Rodney and Kathy forever. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • slpankuchslpankuch member
    edited December 2011

Personally I would just do the candy. People love candy buffets plus they add to your decor.
    Having both might be sugar overdose for some people. Plus as people mentioned above, it could be messy to have an ice cream buffet.
    Have the cake with a choice of vanilla or chocolate ice cream (maybe 1-2 toppings if you really want) on the side if you really want to add ice cream to the mix.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    We are having a kids table (there are only a few kids invited) but that table will be just for kids and we're going to have candy and fun stuff for them on there. We are only going a cookie  table but I'm going to have some candy on that too. I think an ice cream bar is too messy.
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married next August and we will be having a candy bar as the guest goodies and we'll be having an ice cream sundae bar in addition to the cake. We will have attendants at the ice cream sundae bar so I'm not too concerned that it's going to be a mess! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards