Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

NO cake topper ok?

just finalized the cake today. is a cake topper a necessity? i wasnt planning on doing one to simplify my life but my cake person mentioned it and planted the seed in my head. not doing flowers of any sort, just piped-frosting design. also some ribbon wrapped around the bottom of each tier. wondering if this is bad wedding-etiquette to skip the cake topper.

Re: NO cake topper ok?

• Options
    I think no cake topper is OK.

Especially if there are other embellishments on the cake

My caterer is doing my cake and said that no topper has been a trend recently with his clients.
    Photobucketbaby yianni Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    Perfectly fine to not have a cake topper.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm not having one either. Personally, I like how wedding cakes look without a topper.

• Options
    What PPs said.  I was originally not going to have one, but then I found a pretty cursive "D" (that represented H's last name) that I could use as both a cake topper and a wall decoration.  It was cheap, so I went with it.  If I hadn't found that, I wouldn't have bothered with one.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I considered having one, but haven't been able to find a topper that I absolutely 100% love. Monograms are just "meh" and everything else is super whimsical and shabby chic (i.e. birds, little painted people, rustic burnt wood hearts, etc.), which doesn't fit the feel of our wedding.

I think we'll just stick with flowers and a bit of tone-on-tone buttercream frosting design. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I can't figure this out either. I wanted one, but can't find any I like, then I don't want one, then want one again. Ugh! I guess we'll see if something shouts "Pick Me!" or not ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    Simplify. Skip it. How many decisions were involved in just the cake as-is? baker+number of tiers+cake flavor+filling flavor+design elements. Do yourself a favor and skip one more expense and decision, plus all the hassle of getting the cake topper either to the baker on time or to the reception and onto the cake.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-topper-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:9c10db19-0821-4023-91de-c881e80795f4Post:bd7263a1-ef99-40d9-8c8f-a4e5d853b50a">Re: NO cake topper ok?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Simplify. Skip it. How many decisions were involved in just the cake as-is? baker+number of tiers+cake flavor+filling flavor+design elements. Do yourself a favor and skip one more expense and decision, plus all the hassle of getting the cake topper either to the baker on time or to the reception and onto the cake.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you for this!! </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I've had the same struggle and I also like the monogram on the top...instead, we're doing a fondant monogram on the side of the top tier.  That way we have it included and it's near the top, but it flows with the rest of our cake (which is white with a quilted pattern and silver sugar beads).
  • Options
    fiance and i went back and forth about cake toppers. our whole wedding is pretty simple. i felt that omitting the topper went with the idea of simplicity
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards