Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

utensils

I am having a casual 25th anniversary vow renewal and buffet style reception following. We have decided to use the clear plastic plates and glasses. I think platic utnesils are tacky, but this is super casual. If I do decide to rent utensils, what kind of holder should I put them in. My buffet table is going to be decorated with clear glass vases filled with water and white orchids on each side and a vintage crystal lovebird sculpture in the center.  I have asked the ladies (this is a do it yourself thing) to serve all food on silver or glass/crystal. So basically, where do the utensils go? We are not settting the tables since it is buffet style with heavy and light foods.
Thanks,
Viv

Re: utensils

• Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you seen the metal looking plastic flatware?  I would wrap a fork, knife, & spoon in a napkin & tie it with a ribbon in your accent color.  These should be at the end of the buffet line as it is hard to juggle the plate & silverware & put food on the plate at the same time.  Or you could put them on the same table as the glasses.  HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about bamboo cutlery?
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_utensils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:9d174136-30ca-45ce-be94-3cae3dc53a5ePost:acbd98b1-f94d-4072-a607-5a4928e7bfd3">utensils</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having a casual 25th anniversary vow renewal and buffet style reception following. We have decided to use the clear plastic plates and glasses. I think platic utnesils are tacky, but this is super casual. If I do decide to rent utensils, what kind of holder should I put them in. My buffet table is going to be decorated with clear glass vases filled with water and white orchids on each side and a vintage crystal lovebird sculpture in the center.  I have asked the ladies (this is a do it yourself thing) to serve all food on silver or glass/crystal. So basically, where do the utensils go? We are not settting the tables since it is buffet style with heavy and light foods. Thanks, Viv
    Posted by twinmommy46[/QUOTE]

You can get two very pretty, but inexpensive, baskets at an art supply store or even a thirft/dollar store or even Target or WalMart... you can even go nuts and decorate it with ribbons and line them with napkins...
    Then, stick the utensils in those and place the baskets... one at each end of the buffet tables.
    If space is really an issue, you can use one basket and stick it on an end of the table. You can even get a seperate, smaller table for this basket(s) and add other things your guests might need, like napkins and ketchup and salt and pepper.
  • Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Too keep with your crystal theme, I think using the clear plasticware would be fine. I like the idea of wrapping a set in a napkin tied with a ribbon. 

Perhaps you could find a vintage clear glass or white platter in a second-hand store, then stack the napkins/plasticware on the platters.

Or maybe you might find(in the second-hand store) a set of short, wide flower vases that could hold the plasticware. 

Or going with the low basket idea- i'd spray paint the basket white to keep with your color theme.

Or why not put the wrapped plasticware on the tables?  I think that would be just fine.

Your anniversary party sounds very pretty!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards