Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What to serve on a budget??

So we are having a destination ceremony in Florida. I don't expect many of my family to come so we are having a big reception when we get back. We will be back 34 days before the reception so I have plenty of time to do everything plus I have help from family. Now the venue we are renting is through my aunt she's a fire fighter so we are using their union hall 200! They let us cater and bring in alcohol. They have a full kitchen we can use and all the tables and chairs. This will be more of a laid back party. I'm not into all the fancy stuff hints the small wedding on a beach no shoes and a sundress I do not like being the center of attention. We will probably skip most of the reception "traditions". Probably do the first dance and cake cutting but that's probably it. So what is a good CHEAP meal I can serve? I'm getting a small cake to cute and the the tiered cupcakesI have family who owns a bakery and I'm slurpging a little and doing a chocolate fountain with stuff to dipfruit angel food cake Rice Krispies etc mostly since there will be lots of kids there it will be nice for them and I've always wanted one lol anyway I have time and help to prepare the food. I don't have to worry about getting food on a dress or not having time to set up because of pictures etc. so what are some good low cost options?? Oh and I have ONE vegitarian coming.

Re: What to serve on a budget??

• Oh and I have a friend who has a big smoker that they would let me use but I'm not sure if like cooking pig to make pulled pork is cheap at all?
  • And I forgot to say how many lol we will be officially inviting about 130 people but many live in other states or just won't come so I plan on 100 at this point
  • What is your per person budget?  Do you have ample refrigeration?  Do you have cars or other transport to haul big items?

Deli platters can be ordered of just about any combination - all cheese assortment, veggie assortment, macaroni and pasta salad assortment olives, pickles, etc.  Lots of condiments, lots of breads, plenty of napkins - that is a good start

I'd do some hot stuff too - pork and beans, mac n cheese, burgers, chicken wings or legs, green bean casserole, warm corn bread, corn on the cob

Good luck
  • Not sure of the exact budget because we will be buying some and so will my parents but we haven't got an exact figure yet. I'd like to stay under 1500 if that's possible. I know my aunt did my cousins for 1000 including alcohol and they had like finger foods and snack type foods since the wedding was at 6 pm. I plan on starting the reception at 5 because I have lots of older family who won't want to be out late so they will come have dinner and leave basically
  • And yes we have plenty of cars but not sure about refrigeration. I know there will be some but not a ton
  • You could look into Gordon Food Service stores in your area at gfs.com. There are several locations in Indiana, but not sure if they are close to you. They have prepared frozen foods in large chafing dishes that can be served to large groups. You would probably want to cook at home beforehand, refrigerate, then re-warm at the hall, but their items generally run less than $1 per serving for things like frozen lasagna, cheesy potatoes, etc. They have large bags of things like pre-cut cole slaw, you just put the dressing on it, pre-cut large bags of salads. Plus they have frozen desserts like large sheet cakes. They also sell chafing dishes/sets, large volumes of plates, napkins, cups and utensils for less than most of the party good stores.

Also, check Costco or Sam's Club for similar items. If you don' t have a membership maybe a family member or friend does. You can also get floral bouquets there for a reasonable price if you want some floral centerpieces.

For a meat I'd recommend something like a full pre-sliced honey glazed ham, then supply some rolls, cheese, different condiments. For 100 people you might need 2 or 3, but it's easy to do, just put the slices into a chafing dish.

You might want to see if you can get a couple of teenaged kids, "friends of friends or family" to do some of the cleanup and food replenishing so family members don't have to.

• There is a gfs fairly close to me. I was planning to do a lot of my shopping there for things like salad bread and sides but I totally forgot they have the things like lasagna. Thanks!!
  • I'm using Hy-vee they have a ton of different kind of food "bars" for a pretty reasonable price. Just an idea. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards