Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

making my own grooms cake...any tips?

due to our wedding cake costing 900 dollars (is that normal? just wondering we shopped around...) I've decided to make my own grooms cake.  I also feelt that this will be something special from me to him...homemade and unique to his personality.
I've never made a cake that would be considered art...I need tips!
I'm making it to look like a boat because he is a bass fisherman...

Re: making my own grooms cake...any tips?

• ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have time Michaels does cake classes, my cousin became a cake genius in a few short weeks! Otherwise check out some videos on youtube and the wilton tutorials!
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try looking on Youtube for some "How to" videos.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Also, make sure you can bring homemade anything into your venue.  Some bakers have a clause in their contrat that no other cake can be served but theirs, and some venues will not allow anything not made in a commercially licensed kitchen to be brought in.  Many will, but make sure you check.

After 3 DDs weddings I've seen many different clauses and those were included.
  • edited December 2011
    You asked if $900 was reasonable for your wedding cake, but we can't exactly comment because we don't know how many layers? serves how many people? design work? icing, etc. ;)

Keep in mind what kmmssg says about bringing homemade goods into a venue.  That is the one reason we could not do our own wedding cake.  The county health department where our venue is located does not allow homemade goods to be brought into the venue. 

As for a cake that looks like a boat - bake MANY layers of 13" x 9" cake.  Don't use boxed cake mix though (or add a little more flour to give it weight.)  Do you want to try your hand at fondant?  Do you want to use buttercream?
  • KitKat485KitKat485 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a baker myself and I have to say that a lot of groom cakes havn't been cakes at all. One bride had us do a tower of doughnut because her loved doughnut instead. I've also have done a fruit tart, tiramisu and cannolis, so what is his favorite dessert? Plus you cant go wrong baking your own cake for him. They sell cake decorating kits at craft stores or online. This site can get you started
     http://www.babykakes.com/fishing.htm
  • edited December 2011
    900 dollars
    4 tiers
    Margerita and vanilla flavored cake with bavarian filling (yum!!!!)
    Bringing in own silk flowers to decorate
    two layers have those sugary gems on them
    and she is doing some floral lacy looking detal with fondant

oh and nice idea checking for homemade stuff! our favors are cookies our moms are making and they were cool with that but i'll check on the cake...
    and on the dougnuts..i'm worried he might get "caked out" so i should look at something else
    thanks girls :)
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_making-own-grooms-cakeany-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:a3964629-db7a-4eb1-b26c-4fa577137307Post:cef883fc-dd80-4475-9333-a8ce852dc11c">Re: making my own grooms cake...any tips?</a>:
    [QUOTE]900 dollars 4 tiers Margerita and vanilla flavored cake with bavarian filling (yum!!!!) Bringing in own silk flowers to decorate two layers have those sugary gems on them and she is doing some floral lacy looking detal with fondant oh and nice idea checking for homemade stuff! our favors are cookies our moms are making and they were cool with that but i'll check on the cake... and on the dougnuts..i'm worried he might get "caked out" so i should look at something else thanks girls :)
    Posted by secretbride1988[/QUOTE]

That seems about right to me.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_making-own-grooms-cakeany-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:a3964629-db7a-4eb1-b26c-4fa577137307Post:cef883fc-dd80-4475-9333-a8ce852dc11c">Re: making my own grooms cake...any tips?</a>:
    [QUOTE]900 dollars 4 tiers Margerita and vanilla flavored cake with bavarian filling (yum!!!!) Bringing in own silk flowers to decorate two layers have those sugary gems on them and she is doing some floral lacy looking detal with fondant oh and nice idea checking for homemade stuff! our favors are cookies our moms are making and they were cool with that but i'll check on the cake... and on the dougnuts..i'm worried he might get "caked out" so i should look at something else thanks girls :)
    Posted by secretbride1988[/QUOTE]

How many people do those 4 layers feed? 

In my area, $900 would be too much.  A cake that is 4 tiers (let's say - feeds 200 people - 220 people) and fondant lace would be around $600-$700, BUT that is only in my area :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards