Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake topper

We have no clue what we want for on top of our cake.  At first I was thinking real flowers, but now maybe I'm thinking edible flowers...or should we buy a topper.....ughhhh  what's everyone doing????

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake topper

• edited December 2011
    im making my own topper. i wanted bunnies, and the only ones i found were on etsy for like $65! i found a cute crochet topper that im doing myself :)
  • edited December 2011
    We had fresh flowers.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Sugar flowers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    A cake topper is a matter of personal preference. Look around at photos of what other people used and see what appeals to you.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having one made to look like us by an artist on Etsy since neither of us look anything like the cake toppers in the store... it will cost a little more but will be a great keepsake :)
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing our monogram D for the top, along with fresh flowers.
    August 2011 Siggy Challenge - Favorite E-Pic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image 275 Invited image 113 Partying it up image 15 At home lonely image 145 MIA
  • edited December 2011
    I found an amazingly awesome topper that incorporates our personality. Eric races cars and does pit work for a lot of his friends, and I found one that has the bride dragging the groom away from the "garage" with a little toolbox and tools and engine hoist, etc. It's so us!
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing A & T...for Ashley & Theodore. My mother decided that one hehe!
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a Swarovski crystal mongram "R" as ours.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • klm03013klm03013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is a pic of what we are doing, although I think we won't use the nest. Love this Etsy artist.

• edited December 2011
    I have made a ton of wedding cake over the last ten years and nothing is worse then a 80s plastic figurine on the top for your beautiful wedding cake.  Today wedding topper aren't nessassary. Use flowers if your going to use them on the cake as well. If you only use then on the top of the cake it looks a little "off". Monograms are great to. My best advice it to pick out your cake FIRST then your topper. If your going with  a modern theme cake then pick something modern like a monogram or nothing at all. If your still feeling completely lost call you cake designer. They have more then likely made countless wedding cakes and have the experience to tell you what will look the best. A note regarding fresh flowers on cakes. Many fresh flowers especially exotic flowers are poisonous and can make guest sick if the pollen from the flowers goes into the cake. Before you start sticking flowers in your cake check to make sure they are poisonous To be completely safe order sugar flowers but just keep in mind sugar flowers can be very expensive.

Rachel Pizano
    Who Wants CAke
    www.whowantscake.biz
  • edited December 2011
    If my florist ever gets back in touch with me, we're doing flowers. I was stuck on what I wanted, and couldn't find anything, so I finally just gave up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think the 80s plastic figure is subjective. If it fits the couple and the theme, then what's so wrong with it?

We're doing dinosaurs for our topper.
    Clever girl.

• edited December 2011
    We were also having a really hard time finding a topper that we liked and were planning on settling on something random when we found these amazing toppers at our cake baker's. They are really funky copper figures that they make for only $15 with the cake,  you can find similar ones at Etsy for $60-70. When you pick a baker, ask them if they can provide any time of topper, you may be surprised at what they can do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards