Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What kind of pasta?

We're on a very limited budget! I was thinking for dinner, we could just have a "pasta station" with different kind of pastas. This would be in addition to the veggie/cheese tray during the cocktail hour, and of course we could have sides. 

What kinds of pasta do you think would be good, and what kind of sides?

ETA: What do you think of this:

Station one: Salad bar 

Station two: Pasta bar

Station three: Sides bar. I was thinking corn, green peas, veggies like that.

Re: What kind of pasta?

• edited December 2011
    I'd go with a substantial noodle like penne which is less likely to get overcooked and soggy than angel hair or spaghetti.   You could do both Alfredo and marinara.   I'd also consider adding elbow macaroni and cheese (tastes awesome when baked in big trays with a crispy top).  Lasagna is also an option, but you probably don't need both penne marinara and lasagna.    I'm not sure how it stacks up budget-wise, but a stuffed pasta like butternut squash or mushroom ravioli could be nice too. 

I love pasta. =) I'd enjoy your wedding very much. 

ETA: Just saw you asked about sides.  Corn/green beans seem a little odd with pasta.  I'd consider roasted zucchini, marinated artichoke hearts, and/or grilled asparagus. 
  • edited December 2011
    Those are GREAT ideas! Thank you. :) I think we're gonna do four options, one with meat!
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree to do a penne as opposed to a spaghetti.  I'm thinking an alfredo sauce, a marinara sauce, a meat sauce... and maybe a garlic & olive oil?  You could also add a stuffed pasta if it works budget wise (maybe a cheese ravioli).  I like the idea of veggies on the side.  Zucchini, carrots, peppers & onions, asparagus all sound like good options to me.  You could also put out garlic bread and the salads and I think it sounds great!
  • edited December 2011

I was also thinking garlic bread, you have to have something to soak up all the sauce. I love pasta bars. I think it all sounds great.

I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • edited December 2011
    I have to be the downer in this one.  I obviously don't  know your guests but be aware of those with allergies.  I have celiac and cannot eat pasta or bread, etc.  And even if you have never heard of this, more and more people are learning they have this.  If you are set on the pasta (which I would LOVE if I could do it) just ask around as far as allergies go.  And if someone does have an allergy you might be able to bring in your own allergy friendly pasta for them.  Just a thought.  Happy planning and awesome idea!
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe you could have alfredo sauce, marinara sauce, and then separately have meatballs and/or chicken so people could mix and match!  Separating out the protein would help people with Celiac or who just don't want pasta.  I also agree that roasted vegetables like zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms and carrots would be the best side.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! :)
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I love rotini!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards