Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

XP: Rate our cocktail reception menu!

Hey ladies,

So, I am wondering if you guys could help me out and give your opinions on our menu. I am really excited, but I want to make sure there's enough food for all the heaver drinkers coming (there will be a 4 hour open bar)!

For our cocktail reception:

Vegetable/fruit display
4 passed hors d'oeuvres

Station 1: Soup
- Tomato Bisque with grilled cheese on top
- Cream of broccoli with monterey jack cheese

Station 2: Kabob
- Grilled beef tip
- Portabella mushroom
- Onion and red pepper
- Grilled sweet & sour chicken and pineapple

Station 3: Potato and vegetable
- Red bliss oven roasted & mashed yukon gold
- Green beans (should I add more veggies here?- Yes!)
- Toppings: Sour cream, chives, butter, bacon pieces and sliced olives

Station 4: Sliders
- (Beef- *added) turkey and veggie

Dessert:
- Ice cream sundae bar
- Cupcakes!

Thank you so much for looking!

Edited for XP and for clarification/add more yummy stuff!

Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
"Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my open ears inciting and inviting me"

Re: XP: Rate our cocktail reception menu!

• matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am drooling just reading this.  Yay food! 
    The only immediate thoughts I had were these: personally, I would prefer mashed potatoes with toppings to little bitty whole potatoes.  But that's just me.  Also, if there are sliders, it seems a crying shame not to have beef ones as well as turkey and veggie.  But again, that's just me.

Ooh - and will there be any bread products?

Overall, though, this sounds awesome.  I especially love the soups.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Good point about the bread, that will definitely be added!

I looked back at the catering proposal, and the yukon would be mashed/the red bliss would be oven roasted. Does that make a difference, or do you think they should both be mashed?

I figured since we had the beef tips, that the beef sliders wouldn't be missed much, but you do make a good point.. :) I'll see about adding that in too.

Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
    "Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my open ears inciting and inviting me"
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds so yummy! I would say to add more veggies, as there is currently only one at the potato and VEGGIE station. Also, mashed potatoes or baked potatoes are easier to add topping to than on an oven roasted potato. All I can see is a rosemary red potato rolling around on top of sour cream.

The rest sounds so good though! I hope it works out for you.
  • edited December 2011

I would consider possibly adding another veggie option and possibly beef sliders but otherwise it looks amazing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    That sounds great!  I'm a vegetarian and I would definitely have plenty of tasty stuff to eat (which unfortunatly is often not the case)  :)

I do agree with PP, though....maybe add another veggie to the Veggie station.  I love green beans (as long as there's no pork/bacon in them), but I know a lot of people who hate them.  Just a suggestion.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd add a few more veggies and then I'd say it's perfect!

Sounds delicious!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    As a vegetarian I am so happy that the soups are vegetarian friendly (it seems that way at least).  It's also great that the slider has a vegetarian option (I highly recommend using boca brand burgers unless they are being custom made).  I think that you should add 2-3 more veggie options to the potato and veggie station.  I would recommend:

Asparagus with sun dried tomato
    Broccoli sauteed with garlic

This sounds so tasty!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! I will definitely look at adding more veggies/beef sliders. I was vegetarian for 3 years (I actually just started eating chicken a month ago, ha), so I think that side of me is still coming out. ;)
    Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it sounds great! especially as a vegetarian! 

also, keep the roasted potatos... i'm cleary in the minority but i far prefer them to mashed :P 
  • edited December 2011
    I'd probably do a salad bar at the veggie station. Since you have toppings for the potatoes, adding in some toppings for a salad bar shouldn't be too hard.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP's - more veggies - maybe a big tray of roasted cold veggies - like Antipasta style would be really nice.I love that you're doing a sundae bar - I wanted one, FI was on the fence and since reception is outside in SC in late sept- it would probably end up being a melty mess for us. Please post pics after the wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards