Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Vendor Meals

I'm really confused as to who I should provide a meal for. My DJ will be there from 8pm-12am. (7pm for set up)- Do you think I should provide a meal for him at 7pm when he comes or should I expect that he would eat before?
My photographer is beginning the day at 4:30pm, so I figured I would provide a meal for him.
Who else would I have to buy a meal for?
Do you think I should provide a meal for the DJ?
Am I missing anyone?
Please vote below!

Re: Vendor Meals

• erinlister02erinlister02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think definitely for the photographer as that is a long day.

I would chat to your DJ beforehand and confirm that he will eat befoe he arrives. Perhaps then offer a light snack later in the night or piece of wedding cake?

He might want to bring his own snack anyway.

I am providing food for the priest as he is joining for the reception, and the photographer as well as the ceremony singer who is singing again later in the evening with the band.

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011

Ask them if they would like it - I definitely say yes to the photographer, but the dj may just need drinks and snacks.

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agreed, ask if they like it.

For us, our DJ owned his own business so we didn't tip him, but we did provide a meal option (which he was surprised that he actually got to choose and was really appreciative)
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got vendor meals for all of our vendors.  The band was there for 5 hours, so we figured they'd need a break at some point, and as the meal was plated, there might not be snacks for them when they were on break -- they needed a vendor meal available.
  • edited December 2011
    Where and when would the DJ eat? Would he just pick at his placte up at his booth? I like the idea of snacks because they are often easier to just grab and eat!
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at your contracts with them at all?  Many vendors have in their contract that if a meal is not provided, they will be taking a half hour break to go find food somewhere.  Our photobooth company provided an extra hour for free if we fed him dinner. 

Does your venue provide a discounted fee for your vendor meals?  Ours were the same price as under 21 meals because no bar was included.  Our DJ had light music he played during dinner and he sat and ate his meal then, and we sat our vendors together.  As for what type of meal, you could ask them.  They may prefer a kids meal if its chicken fingers or something so its easier to eat. 

I voted to provide a meal for them.  Vendors can make or break your event, so treat them respect and it will be returned to you.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Dnbeach- it is not in any of the contracts, but our hotel does provide vendor meals. So, I'll go for it!
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We provided a meal (at the same time our guests ate) for every vendor present at that time.

Photographer
    Videographer
    DJ
    DOC
    MAU (she stuck around the entire night for touch ups for everyone)
    Entertainment (we had performers between dinner and cake cutting)
    Security
    10-10-10
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should plan to have a meal for everybody.  A well fed vendor is more likely to provide quality service. They won't be thinking about their stomachs rumbling if they forgot to eat.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't use "vendor meals" (i.e., the sandwich, chips, and fruit the venue offered at a reduced price).  My band and photographers ate the same thing as my guests.  I also made sure they had plenty to drink (sodas and water--these were consummate professionals, and nobody would take me up on my offers of champagne.  I was so deliriously happy, I was offering champagne to everyone!).

I'm not really sure when they ate, I think it was during the cocktail hour, because we only saw them in work mode, and the cocktail hour was on the patio.  Also, because we had spent so much time with my incredibly gifted florist before the wedding and were completely smitten with her and her assistant/husband, we ended up inviting them as guests.  At one point in the planning process, she mentioned she had never attended one of the events she had designed.  My mom, fiance, and I thought that was ridiculous, and insisted she be present to hear the accolades in person. 

Anyway, long story short, think long and hard about how you treat the people who are responsible for making your wedding memorable and successful.  Remember they're professionals, give the respect they deserve, and let them enjoy the good stuff (including cake)! 
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice! I will plan to provide a meal for all of my vendors :-) I would never want them to feel disrespected!
  • edited December 2011
    We're giving all of our vendors the same meal the guests are getting, but our venue discounts them 50%.  The DJ should get a meal if he's going to be working for more than 5 hours.  Maybe he could get his plate from the kitchen before you open the buffet for the guests?  As long as you're not having any toasts while people are still getting their food, he could eat while the background music plays.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards