Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Should we make our own cupcakes?

We'll probably be having vegan cupcakes at our wedding in October and are contemplating making them ourselves (with the help of bridesmaids of course). Has anyone done this before or do you have any advice? We'd have probably 150 to make. 

Re: Should we make our own cupcakes?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_should-we-make-our-own-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:bac4c924-32bf-4107-939a-ff477489ba6dPost:51c545af-a1b3-4bcf-b855-c992023f1610">Should we make our own cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We'll probably be having vegan cupcakes at our wedding in October and are contemplating making them ourselves (with the help of bridesmaids of course). Has anyone done this before or do you have any advice? We'd have probably 150 to make. 
    Posted by kfritz36[/QUOTE]

Have your bridesmaids offered - without prompting - to help you bake cupcakes for your wedding?

• Options
    Do you bake often?  Does wherever you're getting married and your caterer allow outside food to be brought in that was made in a home kitchen?  Plus, as PP said, your bridesmaids aren't free labor - if they've offered, that's generous of them, but don't take advantage of them, and don't expect them to help if they have not offered.
  • Options
    I agree with the above statements about bridesmaids, and add that if I were a guest and found out the bride made the cupcakes, I'd feel ambivalent about that unless I knew you were an amazing baker.  I would worry about contamination.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with the others.  Baking 150 cupcakes isn't a small job.  Are you using buttercream frosting?  Do you have refrigeration for that many cupcakes until they are served?

Several years ago a knottie had her g'ma make her wedding cake.  G'ma made all the family wedding cakes.  This was a really big one for 300 people.  She neglected to check with her venue first and they would not accept anything that didn't come from a licensed kitchen/baking facility.  G'ma's wedding cake was turned away at the door and there was no wedding cake at her reception.

I have 3 girls who have gotten married.  I spoke with several reception venues who required a copy of the health dept license if it came from a home bakery and not a commercially licensed bakery.  I spoke to several who didn't care at all.  If you are using a venue where you bring in all of your vendors yourself you need to check with your caterer.  Most I spoke with would  not allow food from an outside source because they would be held liable for any food poisoning.
  • Options
    I would highly advice you not to make your own cupcakes. I have an Aunt who's an awesome baker, and even had a little side business making beautiful wedding cakes right before she got married. She choose to make her own cake too, because why not, right?

The "why not" is that you will be SWAMPED with stuff going on right before the wedding. You will not have time right beforehand to make 150 deserts by yourself (and if your bridesmaids haven't offered themselves, then that is what you're doing).
  • Options
    They would help and have offered, one even said we should take a cake decorating class. I appreciate the advice, thanks ladies
  • Options
    Unless you have baked and stored that many cupcakes prior to this venture I would highly caution against it.  Ask yourself, do you really want to worry about baking, decorating, storing and delivering 150 cupcakes only 2-3 days before your wedding?  Do you have the facilities necessary for this many cupcakes?  What about food safety?  Are you going to take the necessary precautions (gloves, hairnets, sterile/impeccably clean equipment, etc.)?

I know that you have help from your BMs, but what if something comes up and none of them are available anymore?

This may all sound fun now, but when you get to the week before your wedding, I think this is the last thing that you really want to be doing.

I suggest getting some quotes from so local bakeries (most offer vegan and gluten free options now a days) and see how much they would be.  Then weigh that cost against the stress of doing it yourself.

Are you wanting to make them yourself to save money or because of the vegan needs?

• Options
    Are all 150 people vegan? Just a question because we had over a hundred guests and I made my own vegan wedding cake for my wedding but not cupcakes- my caterer made non-vegan cupcakes as everyone but myself was non-vegan (I just really wanted my own cake to cut and eat!) I also kept it very simple (a 10" red velvet layer cake with vanilla buttercream and some edible paper flowers I bought of etsy. My caterer and venue had no problem with us bringing in a cake but those are definitely things to check! If you have a smaller number that require the dietary accommodation of a vegan dessert and that number is workable (ie- baking for 20-40 people as opposed to 150,) then I think it can be done. Otherwise, it might be better to just save up and splurge if you need that many cupcakes (and believe me, I know how expensive specialty baking can be, I shopped around for months before deciding to just make it myself!) 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_should-we-make-our-own-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:bac4c924-32bf-4107-939a-ff477489ba6dPost:72067534-d5f9-425d-8878-5f7613a927c3">Re:Should we make our own cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you have an industrial kitchen and are a professional baker by trade, there is no way I would even entertain this idea.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  I am a prossional baker, and have done cupcakes/pastries for weddings before.  It is a HUGE PITA, even with my experience all my professional equipment.  I can't imagine doing it if I was personally involved in the wedding.</div><div>
    </div><div>And, depending on what you already have, it may not be cheaper.  Don't just consider cost of ingredients, you have to consider the cost of whatever equipment you need to make, store, and transport the cupcakes.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm sure you can find a baker in your area that has vegan options, and I think that will be a better way to go.</div>
  • Options
    I agree with Stage.

I'd never attempt this task, plus getting ready/planning my wedding. No thank you.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I made my own cookies for the cookie/candy buffet at the wedding, and there is NO way I would attempt to make that many cupcakes right before my wedding.     Cookies can be stored a whole lot easier than 150 cupcakes. And you will be BUSY in the days before the wedding.   This is a big task, best left to a professional.
  • Options
    How does making 150 cupcakes in a non-commercial kitchen make your wedding unique?  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards