Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

brownie cake?

Both my fiance and I don't like cake that much so I was thinking about having brownies instead. But, I hate the look of individual brownies so I was thinking of having it covered in fondant and making it look like a regualr cake. My problem is I don't know if this would taste good, and who I would ask to do it because we are on a very tight budget. Also, having it just be brown is not an option as our colors are teal, silver, and black. Does anybody have any suggestions?

*the individual brownies and/or cupcake brownies is a cute idea, but not for me...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: brownie cake?

• edited December 2011
    Could you do brownies with vanilla, cream cheese, or buttercream frosting that is colored teal?

And I really don't think brownies, just the way they are, would look bad, especially if you had them displayed on a cupcake tower or something.  You could paint the tower or stands in your wedding colors to tie it all together.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't care for the taste of fondant.  I think it's typically more expensive as well.

I like pp's suggestion of the colored frosting types and a nice display.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the colored frosting, not a fan of fondant. you can also make brownies in cupcake liners and do it that way, cupcake/brownie tower.
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm on board the non-fondant crowd.
    Fondant can be ok, but not covering brownies. I like the idea of icing or frosting or just placing them in tower form or something.

• colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think cream cheese frosting would work really well with brownies.
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the cream cheese frosting and coloring it. My FSIL had fonduant on her wedding cake and no one ate it b/c it taste so awful!
  • edited December 2011
    Every single part of your wedding does not have to be in your wedding colors.  It wouldn't look bad to have brownies even if your wedding color is not brown. 

I like the idea of having the brownies on a tiered stand and decorated with different kinds of icing.  Cream cheese, chocolate, raspberry, mocha, etc.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loooove brownies!!!!  This is the one time I would not be disappointed to find there was no wedding cake.  Can I suggest also doing blondies with them?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with frogurt. You don't need to match your food to your wedding colours! 

Out of curiosity, is it theoretically possible to turn a brownie recipe into a cake? The layers might be smaller, but it could work...
  • Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Fondant can be good, but I wouldn't suggest it on brownies.  Buttercream icing would be better (and less expensive!).  What about buttercream with a little teal sugar flower on each piece?  You could even add one of those silver nonpareil dots in the center of the tiny sugar flower. 

Another less sweet option would be brownies covered with a dusting of powdered sugar.  This can look quite beautiful and wouldn't cost nearly as much as frosting and frosting decor. 

Good luck! 
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen it done where brownies can be made to look like a regular cake just by layering 3 brownie sheets on top of one another to make it look like 1 layer fo traditional cake. Thanks for all your suggestions. I think the cupcake tower idea is cute but not for me or what I want to do with my wedding. Everything is going to be really modern and have very clean lines, nothing frilly, which is another reason why I didnt want brown or the look of plain brownies and I thought the fondant would help that. I actually don't mind it...maybe it's because my step-mom teaches cake decorating part-time and I've gotten used to it (she would be willing to do the cake but she's already helping me with so much right before the wedding, it would be too stressful). I'll ask her about what I can do too... I'll look into any ideas that some bakeries have and maybe the cream cheese icing might work.  Thanks everyone
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    just a little side note about fondant...try it dried, I know it sounds random, but it tastes just like necco wafers...yum
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SunBear22SunBear22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the cream cheese with coloring or buttercream. I really love the brownie idea.
  • edited December 2011

Could you do a brownie table of sorts? Have lots of different flavors and types each wrapped individual with a tag indicating what type they are? They could be placed in baskets, bowls, etc to give a nice look. You could also offer cupcakes, cookies, and other deserts to complete the look.

• edited December 2011
    google brownie wedding cakes!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_brownie-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:bac59783-03f8-4e14-8bf1-27542bd4456ePost:3610dd8b-98d5-4c6a-9417-9536550c852e">Re: brownie cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the colored frosting, not a fan of fondant. you can also make brownies in cupcake liners and do it that way, cupcake/brownie tower.
    Posted by raenbow319[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  The brownie cupcakes with a cream cheese colored frosting would be AMAZING!
  • jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Add another vote for brownies with different frostings!  Or brownie cupcakes!  Both sound great.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What about having brownies but made in cup cake liners?  Then you can display them better and if you wanted you could have the frosting on them.  Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards