Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Are you serving your wedding cake for dessert?

Wondering when you ladies are serving your wedding cake. I was thinking about serving mine as the dessert course. Or potentially thinking about having a separate dessert course and serving a smaller cake after for a late night snack.

Re: Are you serving your wedding cake for dessert?

• bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're doing cake as dessert and also having a dessert table.  I'm confused, isn't cake dessert?  Serve it later on in the evening if it's a concern for you that guests will cut out.  I'm not planning on cutting the cake until about 10p or so and our reception is scheduled to end at around 11.
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm not sure when i'd cut the cake if i want to serve it for the dessert course. i was thinking about cutting it after the entree but i'll have to ask the venue how much time they would need to slice it.

yes cake is definitely a dessert : ) i ask the question because most of the venues i looked at actually didn't allow you serve the wedding cake for dessert. they made you buy a separate dessert course and if you had a wedding cake they would charge you a cake cutting fee and would only allow you to serve it late night.

the venue/caterer i chose makes wedding cakes in house so if i have them make my cake they allow us to serve it for the dessert course.
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We served cake as dessert.  Dinner ended around 8pm and we cut the cake around 9pm.
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake will be our dessert.  We'll cut it and then do the ceremonial dances while the caterer cuts and plates it...then it will be served.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The cake will the main part of the dessert, but I'm thinking of it being served later, not part of the sit-down meal.  I was thinking of cutting the cake after dinner and having the servers put out the sliced cake on a dessert table so when my guests want a break from dancing they can grab some food and sit a bit.

Since I'm having different flavors for my different tiers and don't plan on having guests RSVP cake flavors to me, having a seated dessert service would otherwise be too compicated.
  • edited December 2011

No way cake isn't the dessert after we spent hundreds of dollars on it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Number Invited 181image Number Attending 148image Number Declined 23image Number Not Replied 10image RSVP Date July 7 Magic Number:150
  • jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a plated dessert (choice between 3 options) and then a buffet of cookies, pastries, chocolate fountain etc. So kind of plated dessert +mini viennese. We're cutting the cake later, at around 10pm (night ends at 1130)- mostly because a lot of people see the cake cutting as the cue to leave and we dont want to cut it too early.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Our cocktail hour starts at 6:30, dinner at 7:30, and we'll probably cut the cake at 9:30 or 10:00. Our package comes with a three course dinner, including dessert, so cake will be like an extra snack. We'll also have take out boxes in case people want to take it home. Also, my venue does not charge a cake cutting fee, surprisingly.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • tombraider21tombraider21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are serving cake and cupcakes and later in the evening we're setting up a candy table.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having our cake for dessert along with an amaretto parfait.
  • edited December 2011
    We are actually cutting ours before dinner starts so that it can be ready to serve as soon as dinner is over. Our coordinator suggested doing this because if we wait to cut it until after dinner, it takes so long to take it apart and get it served that a lot of people will be out of their seats.
  • moozumumoozumu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_serving-wedding-cake-dessert?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:cc8898ee-4e71-4fa4-8e1e-7407e3186e5dPost:fc52f7bc-2c9b-4017-a237-8bec0775ea31">Re: Are you serving your wedding cake for dessert?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No way cake isn't the dessert after we spent hundreds of dollars on it!
    Posted by brandibooh[/QUOTE]

I am confused. If you are not serving the cake at your wedding then why did you spend hundreds of dollars on it and what will you do with it after the wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    Cake is dessert. A lot of people do candy bars and other things as well, but we are definitely having it for dessert.
  • edited December 2011
    we are going to do cheesecake as a dessert Mmmmmmm.......
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a very small wedding cake that FI and I will cut and feed each other rigth after we're finished eating...there will be sheet cakes in the kitchen that will be cut and prepared and then served right after everyone is finished with their meal.

For a late night snack, we are having a cookie buffet!!! I can't wait!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards