Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Fake cake?

Is anyone getting a fake cake? We were gonna do cupcakes but FI likes the cake tradition, with a tier or a piece that you can cut/eat.  Do you think I could make my own?  Is that silly? 

Re: Fake cake?

• edited December 2011
    Do you know how to decorate a wedding cake?  If so, then go for it.  If not, the please be prepared to purchase styrofoam rounds ( a 4 tier will run you $50), and all the icing supplies, bags, tips, etc.  By the time you are done, and have purchased, it will come out costing the same, if not more, than a regular cake.

Have you considered a cupcake tower with a 6"  cake on top for cutting?  Cute, you still get your cupcakes, and it's a moneysaver.
  • sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pink Rose brings up good points. Not to mention fake cakes look fake. I would rather do Pink's idea or a small 2 tier cake that you can cut.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing cupcakes with a small cake for cutting.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think they're tacky.  I've never seen one that didn't look obviously fake. Plus, it's pretty clear what you're doing when everyone is eating cake and there's still an untouched cake-like-thing sitting there.  I'd either cut a cupcake for the ritual or have a small layer cake made for it.  Or just skip it, it's really not necessary.
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well we are having a show cake. The bottom layers are styrofoam, but its all covered in fondant so I dont understand how it would "look" fake. I've made a few fondant cakes, but not confident enough to do my wedding one, so I will have it made.
  • rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont understand how someone can make a fake cake look fake as you decorate it in the same way but thats just my opinion as a cake decorator. Like PinkRose said if you dont have all the ingredients and supplies already it can get pricey. Plus decorating a wedding cake is time consumming, I spend a day or 2 just decorating one cake when I make them so I dont see the point of putting all that time and effort into a fake that wont be eaten and just left sitting there. I would just go with a small cake for the top of a cupcake tower or split a cupcake.
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • cleoharriscleoharris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would advise against making your own wedding cake. You should instead hire a baker to just make the top or bottom tier real so you can have a cake-cutting ceremony, and then serve the cupcakes to your guests!
  • edited December 2011
    Don't make your own.  I'd just find someone who is great at it.  Don't listen to the people that say don't do it because they look horrible.  You just need to find the right people. 

Our cake is fake and its not going to stay out the entire night.  There is a 6inch area of real cake for us to cut into and then its brought to the back.

Our bakers have done a bunch of star's wedding cakes and this is their webpage if you want to see ideas.

http://fakeweddingcakesandmore.com/weddingcakes.php

We saved around $600 by going with them.
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fake cakes are ok as long as there is real cake to be served that is seperate. The problem is when the cake is part styrofoam and partially real. On Four Weddings last night they accidently served part of the styrofoam to the guests..
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • annmarie714annmarie714 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're getting it done by a pro baker, the fake cake can end up costing very close to  what a real cake may cost.  The cost of the cake comes from the actual cake/filling, but as rascal17 said, she spends 1-2 days decorating.  This equals out to be a large part of the cake charge.  Just some food for thought.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards