Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Fondant cutout cake?

So what I really want is a three tier yellow buttercream cake with blue ribbon around the bottom of each tier. (my colors are obviously blue and yellow, lol) I'm a pretty simple bride.

But, my sister is offering to make my cake for free, and she does really great fondant cakes, but doesn't want to do buttercream. (which it's great she's going to do it for free, I'm on a teeny tiny budget!) She was going to take a cake decorating class, but can't find a sitter for her son so she can take the class (she lives in a different state, or I wouldn't even hesitate to offer).

I saw this cake in ( I think) The Knot magazine that I thought was kind of cool, but I still would prefer the buttercream. It looks like it has cut out fondant over the buttercream, so you get less fondant.

I'm doing bird elements in my wedding (not all out, though) and was thinking maybe we could find a bird shaped cutter and use that to cut holes in the fondant.

The problem is, is that I can't find anymore pictures of it. I took this picture with my phone out of the magazine months ago and I can't find it anywhere. I've searched "cutout fondant on cake", "cut holes in fondant and put on cake" and more and I can't find anything like it. Does anyone have any ideas?
image ~*~Rowyn at 5 months!~*~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary PersonalMilestone

Re: Fondant cutout cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    she must use a frosting of some kind under the fondant or it would stick to the cake. buttercream frosting is easy to make and use though if you want a clean looking cake just stick to the fondant.i would recommend against cutting holes in the fondant unless she really knows whatshes doing or the buttercxream will bubble out when smoothing the fondant, and more prone to ripping. look at easier designs for sister to make who isnt a pro
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Even with fondant cakes, there's usually a layer of buttercream involved - the fondant won't stick to the plain cake by itself. And I totally agree with pp, if your sister doesn't know how to handle buttercream and is just learning how to handle fondant, I think you're looking at a disaster waiting to happen.

You have to apply pressure when you're smoothing out the fondant, and if you're not an expert, the buttercream will come out the cutouts and you'll have a total mess on your hands.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can still do 3-tier with a ribbon around it, even with buttercream.

Edit: *I mean fondant.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just picked up the magazine yesterday (which has that picture in it), and I think you're actually looking at two layers of fondant rather than fondant on top of buttercream with it.
  • Options
    shortgrass03shortgrass03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She knows how to do fondant, and she's really good at it, she been using fondant for years. She just doesn't feel confidant in having her buttercream look smooth enough.

I'll be heading to her house (5 hours away in another state) sometime in a couple months for a day or two and I thought maybe her and I could try it out on a little cake and see how it looks, and we could also practice buttercream.

Kaesha - I had looked at the magazine a month or so ago and just took the picture in passing without really thinking about it untl this past weekend, so I just kind of assumed it was over buttercream

Thanks everyone!
    image ~*~Rowyn at 5 months!~*~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    just have her use buttercream on the then use the fondant(she has to use some type of frosting) try the two layer of fondant with the cutouts but becareful because you cannot strech the fondant while applying it to the second layer or you will end up with uneven shapes, 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If your sister is not good with smoothing buttercream, I would recommend having her do fondant.  Getting a buttercream cake smooth enough to look like fondant takes a lot of skill and practice.  Also, if she is making the cakes at home and transporting them five hours, the fondant will help the cakes transport.

If you really like the bird design, have her do the cake in buttercream and cut out fondant birds to attach to the cake.  This will help cover up any areas where the buttercream is not completely smooth.
  • Options
    shortgrass03shortgrass03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_fondant-cutout-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:dfa7a7c6-759d-46a6-aec6-d95716d3148fPost:41a9b1fe-6a4a-4b10-b208-19ec13c7d169">Re: Fondant cutout cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your sister is not good with smoothing buttercream, I would recommend having her do fondant.  Getting a buttercream cake smooth enough to look like fondant takes a lot of skill and practice.  Also, if she is making the cakes at home and transporting them five hours, the fondant will help the cakes transport. <strong>If you really like the bird design, have her do the cake in buttercream and cut out fondant birds to attach to the cake.  This will help cover up any areas where the buttercream is not completely smooth.
    </strong>Posted by NRHDaisy[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea - thanks! (Also, she will be making them here, not 5 hours away)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards