Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Length of Cocktail Party & Is dinner served before entertainment/speeches?

Hi - How long do you plan to have your cocktail party for? We originally had it down for 2 hrs and now thinking about it, it seems too long. Plus, we are putting down a great chunk of money for the booze and once that amount has been met, it becomes cash bar. I think we may get about an hours worth of our money.

We also thought about making our grand entrance into the ballroom, go into a first dance and father/daughter dance and then have speeches/toasts and entertainment like my cousin singing. But this would take up about 45 minutes. Do you think it's better to invite the guests to grab their buffet dinner first, then settle down in their seats and then have the entertainment/speeches or do the entertainment/speeches first and have dinner later? My concern is that dinner will get served much later in the night as buffets require some extra time to get food. Insight into this would be great. Many thanks!

Re: Length of Cocktail Party & Is dinner served before entertainment/speeches?

• edited December 2011
    IMO: One hour for a cocktail party. Do dances, then let the guests eat, then speeches. No one likes to sit through speeches on an empty stomach.
  • edited December 2011
    IMO: One hour for a cocktail party. Do dances, then let the guests eat, then speeches. No one likes to sit through speeches on an empty stomach.

one hundred percent agree an hour is plenty of time for a cocktail party
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing an hour since photos have to get done!!! We're going to have h'ordourves during that time that they can snack on!! Then do our dance....eat and speeches!!! So I agree with her!
  • edited December 2011

I've seen similar posts on the reception board and if you don't have to take pictures during that 2 hr reception I would try to scale back. If its open bar and no food for 2 hours guests are going to be falling over before they get into the ballroom. If you need to take pics or do other stuff during the 2 hrs I would say you MUST have some snacks for guests.

Otherwise I agree with PP in the order. Dance - Food- Speeches/Entertainment

• lisaD26lisaD26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like to talk to people around me during dinner, I think if you want people to pay attention you shouldn't put a plate of food in front of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards