Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Caterer or not?

We're having our wedding in Ocean Shores, WA and there are not very many caterers in that location (5 to be exact). None of them really have the options I am looking for, not to mention, we need to lower our budget on food.

Background: beach wedding, 50 guests, small intimate location, then bonfire on the beach. We'll actually be renting the entire Inn for the two nights.

Right now I am contemplating not having a caterer and just making the food ourselves (each room has a full kitchen) and then breakfast the next morning as well. I could have some of my wedding party handle everything.

Thoughts?

Re: Caterer or not?

• edited March 2012
    I don't think self catering is the way to go especially if that means asking friends or family to help; they should be able to enjoy the party, not work it. 

That said, you don't need to go with a full fledged caterer either.  You could order large amounts of take out from area restaurants, keep it warm with sterno lights and disposable aluminum trays, and rent the dishes or buy sturdy plastic plates, knives, and forks from places like smartyhadaparty.  

With the small guest list, restaurant catering/take out menus are probably a really good and affordable option.  

You also could move the wedding to non-meal time and just do light snacks and cake and drinks. 

I really, really would not advise trying to DIY.   You'll be so busy and you should get to enjoy your wedding.  And it's rude to ask the WP to cook. 
  • edited March 2012
    I don't think it's fair to ask your wedding party to take care of things instead of hiring people.  They are your nearest and dearest that you are supposedly honoring, not treating as hired (but unpaid) help.  

When you do the food yourself, you also have to worry about keeping everything the right temperature and other food safety concerns. 

Are there any restaurants in the area that you like?  Many restaurants can cater events, which might be better food and lower budget than the caterer's you've looked at.  You could hire 1 or 2 people to help serve, replenish dishes, etc.  

ETA: Good morning, NOLA!  Great minds think alike, I see :)
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Sounds like a lovely event.

My questions would be these:
    - Is the reception near the inn? If so, can you use their kitchen facilities? You mention the rooms having kitchens, but would it be enough?
    - what kind of food were you thinking of having that you can't get from the caterers in the area? Is it that you want something so specific they can't supply it, or the cost of what you want is prohibitive/outside your food budget?

When we were looking into catering companies for our wedding, we found that many gourmet grocery stores cater events. There were actually 3 in our area. I did not know this until I started doing some significant internet searches. We found them to be more amenable to negotiations, because they don't only make their profits on catering (like a catering company), but they are already buying and providing fabulous foods to clients of the store. Their buying power and fabulous selections allowed them to work with us.

Perhaps there is something like that within a reasonable distance for your wedding? If they don't do catering, can you consider getting some of these great foods, keeping them cold, then serving that at your wedding? Most gourmet grocery stores provide large portions for large parties........heck, even Costco does this.

Are there any cooking schools in your area? You might be able to hire a student to do food prep, or take care of the things you've purchased at the gourmet store so family & friends don't have to work on your wedding day?

The key issue to supplying your food (whether you make it, or buy it and prepare it/warm it) is keeping the foods at the right temperatures. Chafing dishes for hot foods, cold storage for foods that should be cold. You don't want the downer of food poisoning at your wedding.

If none of the above work for you, I'd still recommend seeing if you can get someone to do the prep outside of wedding guests.

Also, to the left is a "Local Wedding Board". Click on it and look for the board nearest your wedding site and ask those brides for some input. They may have vendor reviews, and some ideas that those of us on this international board do not.

Good luck.
  • Please do not ask this of your wedding party.  They agreed to stand up in your wedding, not cater it.  Handling the food is a fulltime job for whoever does it and they will not be part of the festivities or having any fun - they will be working.  I'd really encourage you to maybe hire some college students or someone else to take care of the food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards