Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Is $200 too much for a wedding cake?

Hey Ladies,

My fiance and I have a friend who just started a business making wedding and birthday cakes. After I saw a few pictures of her cakes (and tasted a few), I asked what she would charge for a three-tier cake that would feed 70 people. The cake is simple - one flavor only and no elaborate design. She told me $200!

Though I haven't priced cakes, I thought that was a reasonable price since it was well within our budget. However, when I asked a friend of mine who is getting married she told me that's what she paid for her cake to feed 200 people!

What is the average cost for a simple wedding cake that feeds 70 people? I live in the Los Angeles area if that helps.

Thank you for your responses!

Re: Is $200 too much for a wedding cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's too bad at all, but I'm only going off of what I know, which is our cake which is $7 pp.
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This would be better as a local city question, but I don't see that being a bad price!
  • Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That seems like a great price! I'm in Maine, and paying $2.50pp. 
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That price seems reasonable to me. 

PS - IvyRose13 - I loved going to Popham with my Grandparents when I was a kid!  What a cool place for a wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seems reasonable to me too. I paid 230$ for 50 people.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to live in LA, and wedding cakes can be very expensive there.  $3/pp sounds really reasonable to me.
  • Options
    ckonidakckonidak member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in Seattle and that's way reasonable for our prices. Average can be anywhere from $4-7/pp.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been quoted between $300-400 by a few different places for a cake feeding approx. 75 guests. I want a 3 tier cake which would feed more than 75 people so it will have fake layers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    When you break it down, that's $2.85 per slice...which actually is high compared to what I paid ($2.25 per slice)...but it's ALL dependant on area.  Try asking your local board.
  • Options
    LavenderBrideLavenderBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for your responses! I wasn't sure if my friend was quoting me a super high price, but from the looks of most people's responses, $200 is right on the money! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Less than $3/slice is a really, really good price.  We're paying $7/slice for ours, plus cutting fees from our venue because I refused to use their vendor.
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_200-much-wedding-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:f22bc6c6-7871-4fa2-8c51-38c2693e4ad3Post:19bf06a0-bf40-447d-adbb-62383a781f2b">Re: Is $200 too much for a wedding cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Less than $3/slice is a really, really good price.  We're paying $7/slice for ours, plus cutting fees from our venue because I refused to use their vendor.
    Posted by I Want Cake[/QUOTE]

I think it really depends on location...in my wedding location (not Chicago where I live) anything above $3/slice was high.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, OP being from LA, I would say 200 is more than reasonable.  In N.O. (a far less cosmopolitan city than LA) it's typical to pay at least 5/slice. 

My own cake is 380 for 70 people....and half of it is fake (they're going to cut up sheet cake in the back...no one will ever know!) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ummm I'm doing cupcakes for $6 a person.  I think $200 definitely sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's super cheap from LA. I'm getting mine in Orange County and the cake is over 800 for 100 ppl and thats for the basic design through the receptions select companies(includes cutting fee)and then we added details which was over $200 more. I'd do it for sure!!! I've looked all around OC(not LA, but close enough) and i've found nothing that low price wise
  • Options
    cassandrae913cassandrae913 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is unbelieably cheap for LA. The cheapest cake I have found in San Francisco for about 100 people is 600 dollars-and that does not include the 9.5% sales tax and set up fees. All of my friends got married in San Francisco and paid around 1200-1500 for a cake. Even doing cupcakes for 100 people is about 500 dollars. You are very very lucky.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The price is good, if the cake is good!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My 100 serving cake (which is a simple, buttercream design) is $450.00 and I am in Cincinnati. You are in LA, so that price has got to be considered cheap.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am from the midwest so I am not much help but I will be paying around 200 to feed 250 people with my cake...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also from the midwest so not really much help.  I'm paying $1 per slice.  I would think for L.A. that would be a decent price though.  Have you priced a similar cake with other bakeries?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    iriefaerieiriefaerie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sweetheart, that is dirt cheap. Beware.... Make sure it does taste good, and isn't made of crisco frosting before buying it. You want your guests to enjoy their dessert. Not end thier night with a bad taste in their mouths.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that's reasonable, but if you aren't comfortable with it then I would certainly suggest shopping around.  I don't think you should look at anything in your wedding and think "Oh God, that's too much!"  

If it really is a simple design and one flavor, you might want to check out Walmart.  I've actually heard good things about their wedding cakes and I've personally had some awesome sheet cake from Sam's Club before so I would bet no one would know where it came from.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im from nh and ordered a cake for my daughters 10th bday. it was for 30 guests and three tier with detail and fondant flowers and a ice skater on top with a big sugar 10!i paid 200! but it was custom. i think thats a great price but make sure wherever you are having your wedding if they charge a cutting fee. 
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Just make sure that she doesn't include the top teir in her count for how many people the cake feeds as the top is typically frozen for your first anniversary.  Most of the places I looked at were between $2-$4 per person (not including the top tier).  We ended up booking a venue that includes the cake though, so I can't tell you what it actually came out to for us.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that $200 is very reasonable! I haven't decided on my own cake yet, but my sister got a cake to feed about 300 people from a slightly high-end cake baker in Louisville, KY, and it cost her $1,200!! If I recall correctly, she had 5 tiers. I think $200 for 70 people is very reasonable for my area, personally, so I think that is more than reasonable for LA.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards