Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What are/were your cake flavors?

I'm looking for ideas. I'm open to something unique or traditional. The photo that I like has three layers so I could do something different on each one. Cake is my favorite part of the wedding and I'm too excited for this part.

Thanks!

Re: What are/were your cake flavors?

• melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake is four large tiers.  The bottom and second layers are simple white with white buttercream filling.  The top and third layers are simple white cake with two filling layers, one chocolate buttercream and one mocha buttercream.  We didn't think we'd like the mocha, but we LOVED it.

All of the flavours we sampled at our bakery were fabulous, but that seemed the most "wedding-y" to us.  It will all be finished in white buttercream with black buttercream detailing/loops.

If you're interested, it can be seen at www.dufflet.com. It's the #02 Lovely Loops.  We're not having the real flowers or greenery on it, but instead we are adding a dozen edible white chocolate roses cascading down one side.

Good luck picking!  The cake is the most fun!
    10-10-10
  • apaadzzzzapaadzzzz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are actually going with a lemon rasberry chiffon cake... It's delicious!  We are just going to do the one flavor throughout.  We will have other little desserts out, so there are other options if they don't like it.
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing red velvet w/chocolate ganache filling. We're going w/the italian buttercream icing so that it can be decorated. YUM!

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having chocolate on one tier and italian creme on the rest
  • edited December 2011
    We had two layers, each on vanilla bean cake: passionfruit mousse and chocolate macadamia nut mousse.
  • edited December 2011
    we're having cupcakes, angelfood with strawberries inside and buttercream, chocolate with peanut butter frosting, key lime cupcakes with pie fillling inside and fresh lime frosting, ginger pumpkin cheesecake cupcakes, chocolate with lemon creamcheese icing.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a 3 tier cake...bottom tier will be french vanilla with strawberry filling, middle tier will be chocolate with chocolate peanut butter filling and the top layer will be lemon with raspberry filling. The whole cake will be frosted with buttercream.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditional white almond cake with buttercream frosting and one layer of bavarian chocolate filling and two layers of rasberry filling.  The groom's cake is pumpkin spice.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing cheesecake--can have up to 6 flavors, but will probably just stick with pumpkin swirl and caramel swirl.
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funfetti cake with white chocolate mocha filling and white buttercream frosting.  If rainbow chip frosting was acceptable for decorating I would totally go with that.

Personally, I only want one flavor.  I have never seen servers ask guests which flavor they want, so to me offering different flavors to please different people isn't worth it because there is no guarantee that people will get the flavor they want. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Either white cake with raspberry & lemon curd filling & buttercream frosting or chocolate cake with strawberry filling with buttercream frosting.  The whole cake will be one flavor & we're serving the top tier.  We are using a regional chain grocery store for the cake.  Their cakes always taste super yummy & are about 1/3 the cost of a speciality baker.  FI picked 'square' as the shape.  TMI?  HTH
  • edited December 2011
    We are only having one flavor as well. I am not a fan of all those funky and unique flavors. Ours is going to be half chocolate and half white with buttercream icing and details to match my dress with real flowers on it.
  • edited December 2011

Wow! So many options. I love the idea of real vanilla bean. Such an incredible flavor. I also love something with raspberry and lemon curd. AND that you can have chocolate in a layer.
    Thanks for the awesome ideas here. I seriously cannot wait. When did you do a tasting?

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_arewere-cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:f577f936-40e4-4cf9-b870-6c70f1038887Post:a034f500-123a-47fd-b35e-a2a267580c2d">Re: What are/were your cake flavors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Funfetti cake with white chocolate mocha filling and white buttercream frosting.  If rainbow chip frosting was acceptable for decorating I would totally go with that. Personally, I only want one flavor.  I have never seen servers ask guests which flavor they want, so to me offering different flavors to please different people isn't worth it because there is no guarantee that people will get the flavor they want. 
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

Every wedding I've been to that has had cakes of more than one flavour, I've been offered an option. Maybe it's a regional thing?
  • edited December 2011
    My cake is going to be chocolate cake with cannoli and chocolate mousse filling and buttercream icing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_arewere-cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:f577f936-40e4-4cf9-b870-6c70f1038887Post:df40b564-060f-4ddc-a18c-ae4a53ef10be">Re: What are/were your cake flavors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are/were your cake flavors? : Every wedding I've been to that has had cakes of more than one flavour, I've been offered an option. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    Posted by kaesha[/QUOTE]

Yeah it might be.  Or maybe I've just never been to a wedding that had more than one flavor cake. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    im going with a three teir cake and three different flovers one is strawbarry anpther one is yellow the top is marble and we have a sheet cake that is white
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want cake now.  Yum.  Lemon-raspberry in some form seems kind of popular, I really want to try it, that sounds SO good.
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing white cake with local-California apricot filling and chocolate cake with fleur de sel filling.  I wish I was eating it now.
    Final Siggy Challenge: Favorite photo with FI
    At the Apple Orchard
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bottom: white cake with cream and fresh strawberry filling
    Middle: half white cake, half chocolate cake with chocolate truffle filling
    Top: red velvet with cream cheese filling
    All covered in vanilla buttercream (because fondant is yuck).
  • edited December 2011
    We are having one flavor: Almond with caramel filling and buttercream frosting.  We will have Christmas cookies and desserts on a buffet table too!
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Ours was 3 tiers - bottom was Belgian chocolate truffle (not really a cake per se, since it was only Belgian bittersweet chocolate, eggs, and butter); middle was orange-almond sponge cake with Grand Marnier-orange blossom Italian meringue buttercream; top was buttermilk spice cake with the same buttercream. I covered all tiers in homemade orange-blossom fondant. Yes, I made my own cake. I also served it to our guests, and most people got at least 2 pieces so they could try more than one flavor. It was a hit.
    DSC_0103.jpg image by cltindall
  • edited December 2011
    Our cake is White almond sour cream with strawberry filling with butter cream icing it taste like strawberry shortcake!!
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a 4 tiered cake.
    The bottom layer is: white cake with fresh raspberry filling
    The 3rd layer is:  carrot cake with cream cheese icing
    The 2nd and top layers are: butter yellow with buttercream
    The entire cake is being covered in buttercream frosting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ssinnettssinnett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going wild - the cake is the best bit of the dinner! We're having 6 tiers, and 3 flavours which then repeat themselves once as we go up the layers.
    * 1 - vanilla cake with vanilla ganache - strawberry conserve - vanilla ganache filling
    * 2 - lemon cake with lemon curd - blueberry conserve - lemon curd filling
    * 3 - chocolate cake with chocolate ganache - raspberry conserve - chocolate ganache filling.

Just had the tasting cakes delivered and they all work really well. The fresh fruit conserves can be quite tart, so if you want a sweeter than sweet cake, this isn't for you but it's a fresh, zingy alternative if that appeals to you.
  • SJOETXSJOETX member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cake is a delicious carrot cake with buttercream icing.  The groom's cake is an expresso, mocha cake with fat chocolate icing.  I'm excited!  I love cake too!
  • JiveOreoJiveOreo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are planning on a 3 tier cake......
    Cake Flavors are Lemon tier one
    Almond tier two
    Lemon tier three
    Fillings are Lemon Buttercream & Strawberry  & Amaretto on teir one
    Tier two fillings are Lemon Buttercream & apricot & Baileys
    Tier three fillings are Strawberry & Black Russian & Orange
    We taste tested all cake flavors offered and filling flavors offered..........
    We decided to go with the above mentioned combination of cake flavors and fillings.....
  • prettytprettyt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a ricotta cake.  White cake with cannoli filling.  The most delicous cake ever!!
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing red velvet, with white frosing and red french curves as our colors are red and green.  Plus, I like the flabor of red velvet!
  • dianne1961dianne1961 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

4 tiers. All are white cake covered in buttercream icing.Fillings are.... Top 2 small tiers are vanilla bean cream with fresh blueberries. Next one is rose cream with fresh blackberries and the last one is amaretto cream with fresh cherries. Also a grooms cake with ground pistachio cream filling. I'm going to have to try them all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards