Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Gluten Free Vegan Bride- HELP!!

HI all!
I was hoping to pick brains here because I am getting very frustrated.
I have a crazy disorder that makes me allergic to alot of protiens, thats whay I am Vegan Gluten free. I have been planing out wedding in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico next year.
I am having a very hard time wwith the resort"chefs" takeing me serious. I bake Gluten free vegan all the time.
Im terrified that they wont take me seriously and put something in it. I don't wan
t to have to worry about my food. The options that I can see are- Bring my own food- wich kind of sucks on my wedding. Or trust they dont poison me...
What do you all think?

Yvonne

Re: Gluten Free Vegan Bride- HELP!!

• edited December 2011
    If it were me, I'd bring my own food.  It sucks, but that's the only way to truly know that you won't get poisoned.
  • edited December 2011
    How far in advance are you getting to the resort? Can you have them make something the day before for you or have them show you how they are making the food?

Do you have recipes you can share with them? Lots of caterers will make special meals if it's something that means a lot or fits into your dietary requirements.

Also, I would think resorts would be much better at this kind of thing than non-resprts. Perhaps you haven't found the right resort yet? (I'm a vegetarian and I've heard that some AIs are not very special-diet friendly, but maybe try searching trip advisor for one that's good with special meals?)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-vegan-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:f6a20f98-5724-4e4f-a744-64f9368e7ff3Post:f8d6de30-07e0-42c8-b799-fa888ddcf1b7">Gluten Free Vegan Bride- HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI all! I was hoping to pick brains here because I am getting very frustrated. I have a crazy disorder that makes me allergic to alot of protiens, thats whay I am Vegan Gluten free. I have been planing out wedding in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico next year.<strong> I am having a very hard time wwith the resort"chefs" takeing me serious</strong>. I bake Gluten free vegan all the time. Im terrified that they wont take me seriously and put something in it. I don't wan t to have to worry about my food. The options that I can see are- Bring my own food- wich kind of sucks on my wedding. Or trust they dont poison me... What do you all think? Yvonne
    Posted by YvonneDreptate[/QUOTE]

Write it into the contract and be sure to have a trial run with them before the wedding.  If they start to give you any problems, remind them that Chelsea Clinton just had a vegan/gluten free wedding (with meat dishes for the guests who wanted them) and that you will sue them for breach of contract if they do not give you the menu exactly as it is in the contract.

Wait, I just read that this is in Mexico?  Is it an American company that owns the resort?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    If your afraid of them giving you a cake that will not agree with your diet opt for a dessert bar where you can choose multiple items that both you and your guests will enjoy. It's not traditional but is becoming more popular and is something I have been suggesting to my clients that either have dietary restrictions themselves or know that many of their guests do.
  • edited December 2011
    id say bring your own food, or can you get a cake from a vegan bakery? one that is disignated as safe?
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a GF bride.
    I had our reception coordinator in charge of making sure the chef made a special plate just for me.  Also, I had our baker buy a GF cake mix and make a mini GF wedding cake that matched our traditional cake (non-GF) so that we could have somethign to cut into.

My opinion - I'd spell out in writing exactly what the chef should do (ie no flour in the cake pan when baking, clean utensils when preparing your plate, etc.)
  • DemedollDemedoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a vegetarian Celiac so I feel your pain on this one.

I say definitely bring your own food. I travel a TON (17 countries and counting) and resorts are the worst at accomodating food allergies unless it is shellfish. Even though some have dishes that are GF and no meat they do not designate cookware, dishes, or even areas of the kitchen or grill for allergen free areas. There is a high risk of cross contamination that you DO NOT want on your wedding day. Better to pack some cold food from your fav vegan GF suppliers than run the risk of a break out or being in the bathroom all night. Besides, keep in mind you will not have much time for eating on your wedding day. You should have a purse with you with some GF crackers to munch on but you may not even be in the mood for a full meal. I find the little jars of Gerber baby food (the fruits) are great for tossing in a bag on the go as well.

I think SillyYak in WI ships breads and whatnot but they might have egg in their products. I eat products with egg because being vegan is just too difficult :)

You can try getting an agreement on food in the contract but again, resorts are just not very good at this especially in a lot of foreign countries. My sister lives in Mexico city and I have yet to have a good experience with food in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, or MC.

Good luck!
  • LizdcLizdc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am vegan and doing a ceremony reception in fl ( I live in DC). One of my friends is picking up my cake and flying with it. It is being made by a high end vegan baker here. I checked on the TSA site and you can take a cake through security. They spell it out clearly. My baker knows the cake is going on a plane and is advising me on what is better suited for travel. My cake is for 25is so isn't huge. You are in jersey so I would try to find a baker and also maybe food it's self made here and bring them.I a, lucky there is a whole food in sarsato so I am picking up prepared foods the day before that are vegan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards