Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

When do you order the Cake?

I was looking at the checklist and I'm either blind or its not there. When are you supposed to order the cake?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When do you order the Cake?

• Options
    ellone400ellone400 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It depends on where you are getting it from.

If you are getting your cake from a  boutique bakery the sooner the better. However, if you are getting it from a chain grocery store you have more time to work with.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We signed on the dotted line for ours about two weeks ago. I would say it wouldn't be to early to start looking into bakers and making a decision now. The good places will get booked up first.
  • Options
    rillarsonrillarson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just ordered ours and it is less than 2 months till our wedding. It really depends on the bakery. Ours is a small family-owned bakery and they had our day open so it worked out. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked our date 6 months in advance because we are using a small, local boutique bakery. We really had our hearts set on them and didn't want to lose out since they only do a few cakes every weekend.
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will probably put the deposit down for our cake soon. It's from a popular bakery, so we want to be sure we get it.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked ours about 8 months out from our wedding. It really does depend on who you go with. For example, I met with some that would only do one or two weddings a weekend. If you have a popular date with a popular baker, he or she is going to get booked up fast.
  • Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is about 10 months away, and we are starting to look at bakers now. Our wedding date is also really popular though, 9.10.11, so we want to be sure to get a baker we like. 

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    vb0000vb0000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the cake is important to you and you want a quality and/or a unique cake and/or then you'll want an official wedding cake baker and you'll want to book them ASAP since they only do 1-2 cakes a weekend and get booked up fast.  Or, if you don't want to end up spending a lot of money then you want to be sure you get the "affordable" baker booked before anyone else does.

But as another reader stated, if you just want to go with a chain store or not do an official wedding cake then you have some time and can do it closer to the date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend is making my wedding cake for me.  She's a professional baker and does specialty cakes.  I had called her two weeks ago and she told me that I didn't have to order my cake until February and that's one month before my wedding.  She is local for me, so I guess if you're not getting your cake locally than you need to check with the bakery or store as to when you should place your order.
    You actually will need to meet up with them and pick out what you'd like on your cake.  I'm meeting up with her in February to go over all of the particulars that I want on my cake.
    I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
    Goodluck and Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
    Denise
  • Options
    kellylinman06kellylinman06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for all you help.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards