Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Dilemma

Ever since I became engaged, the one aspect of my wedding that I was certain on was the baker for the cake. My family has always gone to them for graduation cakes, birthday cakes, and any other cake needs. I knew that when I got married, I had to have them do my wedding cake. Well, I just called them and they are booked for every Saturday next summer. We haven't set a permenant date yet, so that is flexible, but I don't want to wait a whole year just so we could have the most delicious cake on the planet.

So my question is.. Do I search for a new baker? Or would it be a good idea to have cupcakes for our wedding cake? My grandma would be able to make them, which would save a lot of money.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cake Dilemma

• edited December 2011
    I say eat the cake on your anniversary, save the $ and set your date :-)
  • ckonidakckonidak member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed. Go out of the box. Plus, everyone is probably expecting you to go with the "family baker." Maybe finding something original, or less expensive but still yummy could be a better option for you. I can only speak for myself, but I'd never set my date based on when someone can make my cake. :-( Plus, after we lost our original baker, we found a fantastic local gal that makes mini-cheesecakes (which are out of this world good). Turned our lemons into lemonade, and I'd bet you can do the same! GL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
      If you have your heart set on a specific baker, maybe you can talk to them and see if there's a way to get them to do your wedding. I'd explain that you've been going there for years and you'd like to find a solution to be able to have them do your cake. Maybe they could do a smaller, less ornate cake with a sheet cake or two to serve guests so it's not as much work for them? Or maybe delivery/set up is the problem? See if you can have a (trusted) friend or family member pick it up the day before and set it up at the reception.
      If they are unwilling to compromise, I'd have your grandma do cupcakes and save the money as long as it's not going to be too much of a burden on her.
  • edited December 2011
    Do your wedding on a Friday or Sunday instead?

Also, does this bakery have a one-wedding-per-day policy?  You could check into that.  My bakery does 3 weddings per weekend as does my florist.  It is something for you to consider.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KaitlinRichKaitlinRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say go with what makes you happy. I decided a while ago that I would make my own cake (I have made wedding cakes before). For me this is better because I know no one else could get exactly what I want and also we can use the saved money towards our honeymoon ore something. I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards