Virginia

Married Ladies....

Did you have to go back to the court house and pay extra to get your marriage certificate after you were married?Our reverend told us it could take up to a month to get your certificate in the mail so we waited a month and still nothing.  I called today and they said they don't send you any copies, you have to go buy them. Did you have to go back or did they send yours?  I'm pretty positive they mailed my mom hers last year.

Re: Married Ladies....

• edited December 2011
    They won't automatically mail you the license/certificate.  You get the "keepsake" that the officiant can give you the day of, then the officiant mails in your form to the court for filing.  You have to wait about a week after that before you can request certified copies.  You can mail in a request or go in person.  It's $2.50 per copy and they don't take checks.  They take cash, money order, or Visa/Mastercard (but will charge you a processing fee for a credit card).I just went to the Fairfax County court today to get my certified copies.  It's really quick.  If you mail the request in, it takes about 2 weeks to get your certified copies back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nluvbride09nluvbride09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No...when we applied for ours we were told to bring a stamped self addressed envelope. It was waiting for us when we returned from our honeymoon.
  • edited December 2011
    You have to go back to pick up certified copies, but your first 2 copies should be free (at least they were in Va Beach). We never got anything in the mail.
  • edited December 2011
    I guess it's different at different courthouses? My mom got 2 copies free in the mail last year when she got married.  They told me that I have to pay for any copies I want.  No free ones. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards